Vacuum sealing before the rest period?

CarriageStone

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Hello all,

We're getting ready to process 50 CX's. I had planned on letting the cuts rest in the fridge for three days (in water) prior to putting them in the freezer. Couldn't I just vacuum seal them first and then let them rest in the fridge? It would certainly be cleaner and more convenient.

Many thanks,

Don

I don't do the Cornish X's. I process dual purpose chickens at a much older age. So I cook them differently than you would the broilers, long and slow with moisture.

I freeze mine immediately after processing, no aging in the fridge. When I am ready to eat them, I let the package thaw about three days in the refrigerator. I consider those three days of thawing the aging process. With proper cooking, mine is tender and tasty.

Good question................... Yes you can and I think packaging before the aging process will give you a better chicken. I slide the bird in the bag and fill the cavity with brine, then vacum seal it. You can now leave it in the fridge for up to 4-5 day's to age before freezing, or freeze it and defrost for 3 days to age it before cooking, it just gives you more flexibility in the aging process and is safer due to the fact it is well sealed and protected. So yes if you want to go right ahead it's great, BTW this is exactly how they package commercial chickens, hence the label saying that it may contain up to 10% water.

AL

I had 25 meaties processed last Wednesday and had all 25 vacuum sealed. I allowed them to rest in the fridge 48hrs and froze 22 of them. The other 3 I cut-up and used for various meals. All the meat was tender, and DELISH! It was a lot easier and cleaner as well
big_smile.png

Last week my girlfriend and I processed our first batch of meat birds, 10 Cornish Cross and 1 Leghorn rooster. They were about 9 weeks.

We sealed them with a Food Saver and let them rest for 48 hours in the fridge before freezing them. Now I'm waiting for a breast pack to thaw so we can make some chicken strips. I'll update on how tender they are after we have dinner.

Back
Top Bottom