Valentine's day hatch-a-long 2017

I culled a couple, and one looks weird, but I still have hope for these eggs due on 15/16th.

Last edited:
Most of my eggs have extreme saddle air cells, not looking good for those :( . There are about 7 that seem to be developing OK though.

If they don't hatch I guess I'll just have to buy more eggs...
What is saddle sac? Is that where it's on the side? Just had one of them and it hatched fine I was very worried. Then where do you buy your eggs? Mail or just local farmer, chicken raisers?

What is saddle sac? Is that where it's on the side? Just had one of them and it hatched fine I was very worried. Then where do you buy your eggs? Mail or just local farmer, chicken raisers?

It's when the air pocket gets slightly dislodged, often happens when eggs are shipped. When I candle them they look a bit like the one in the pic in this post https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/958044/lightbox/post/14906143/id/6772545 but a little more extreme. Luckily they do seem to be hatching ok, 2 are out and 5 are pipping.
They were shipped eggs, I got them from someone on ebay. All the air cells looked good when I got them so I just put 'em in the incubator on their sides with the turner on. When candled at a week in the air cells were crazy, since then they've been upright with minimal turning and have improved a bit.

@GardenWren
I put my eggs into lockdown tonight. On pins and needles!!! Did a quick candle and all seemed to be well. This is the part I've had horrid luck at. Keeping all my finger, toes, and claws crossed that my new Brinsea 20 EX does its job and I have a great hatching outcome. Come on babies...

7 out of 8 Valentine Babies have hatched so far.

My first batch from last week are doing well.
my batch due 15th and 16th got cold and I didn't have much hope, (they were also fridge eggs, but I take the blame of their coldness) I have one that hatched today...so one Valentine's day hatcher. 2 more eggs waiting.for tomorrow or next day...

I took a quick pic of today's baby then put her back. I am going to call her "Cinnamon Rose".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom