Valentine's day hatch-a-long 2017

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I have 11 eggs that are five days along (incubator), and just heating up a dozen (some in incubator, some under broody bantam)My second batch I hope will hatch late on VD or possibly the day after. Mystery eggs from near by farms. Good luck all!.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm so excited someone finally started a V-day Hatch-O-Long. I just set 7 Swedish Flower Hen eggs tonight that will be due to hatch on Valentines day, and I have another 12 that are on day 14. Good luck.

You too, I have a couple of SFH, hatched from eggs from a friend, I want to get more though, they are white ones, with flecks, but I want some gray ones she has.and all the colors.

Set 14 beautiful f7-f9 Olive Egger eggs yesterday, and 7 additional mixed "color layer" from our own birds, ran the numbers, and realized I'm most likely gonna have valentine's babies :love Excited to be part of this hatch-a-long!! Good lunck all!

Totally by accident, I have a valentine's hatch happening too. 32 eggs from my blue americauna roo over EE and OE hens. I hatched 5 of these eggs under my little broody Becky. Cochin 2 weeks ago today.....so cute. Here's some pics of those until the 32 hatch on February 14th.
Proud daddy

And the babies and their adopted momma

And finally 1 with my youngest daughter. She loves the babies!

I grabbed 12 more fridge eggs from vet, pretty dark ones, a couple of white ones, and another green, and 2 spotted ones.Then from the store I bought a dz.fertile, Dark brown, tan, and one lone white one.. I went to a second hand store, they had a plug in skillet with dial, I thought I would try to do babies in it, since my crock pot idea has been working so well. and it was cheap. I got it home and tested it and it started to smoke right away, it was burning it's own cords. I unplugged it quick, and put it in the snow, it went in the garbage after it cooled. So scary!

I grabbed 12 more fridge eggs from vet, pretty dark ones, a couple of white ones, and another green, and 2 spotted ones.Then from the store I bought a dz.fertile, Dark brown, tan, and one lone white one.. I went to a second hand store, they had a plug in skillet with dial, I thought I would try to do babies in it, since my crock pot idea has been working so well. and it was cheap. I got it home and tested it and it started to smoke right away, it was burning it's own cords. I unplugged it quick, and put it in the snow, it went in the garbage after it cooled. So scary!

What exactly do you mean by "do babies in it"? You aren't cooking up little chicks for dinner are you?
sad.png
I assume not.

People have hatched chicks in the electric skillets before, but only with skillets with a dial, the turn it up just enough for the light to go on the back of a tick. they also use thermometers to make sure the heat is correct, plus the egg doesn't touch skillet, I don't know all the details, I have hatched using crock pots, it is not that big of a deal.

currently having a nice rooster soup, who was once a Chickie.

Last edited:
Just set some eggs that should hatch the day before Valentine's day. Chocolate Orp bantams and golden penciled Hamburgs. Not sure how many, I know there are over 20 but haven't actually counted yet... plausible deniability
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom