Vegan And Vegetarian Chat Thread!

Are You A Vegan/Vegetarian For The Animals, Health Reasons Or Other?

• For The Animals

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Health

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Both Health And Animals

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
I have a question. is anyone what I call a "social vegitarian/vegan" i.e. you don't eat meat or animal by-products that you don't know if they are what you deem acceptable (like ethically/organically raised) but you consume those products from lets say your hen's eggs and any chicken you process?

I generally don't eat meat out at restaurants (in sandwiches is the exception) mostly because I don't care for the way other people prepare the meat and it creeps me out if I haven't prepared it myself. I eat meat I've made myself, but I'm still picky about it. I'm not this so so much because of my beliefs about animal care but more because I just don't like the taste/textures of certain meats.

I only eat my own rescued hens' unfertilized eggs. I did not eat eggs for 25 years due to animal care issues and it was impossible to find humanely raised and cared for hens in the Cleveland area. Even after I moved to rural ME where everyone has chickens, it was impossible to find a chicken guardian who didn't cull their hens or slaughter some other animal in the back yard. Now I have my own rescued hens who will live with me regardless of their egg-laying ability and I will eat only their eggs.
I do not and have not for 26 years eaten flesh of any type.......including poultry and seafood. I'm always astonished when I'm asked if I eat those two species. Flesh is flesh, regardless of whether it walks, runs, flies or swims.
Regarding eating out.......I find it very annoying and disrespectful when restaurants have little to no cruelty free items on their menu...esp in this day and age.

I have a question. is anyone what I call a "social vegitarian/vegan" i.e. you don't eat meat or animal by-products that you don't know if they are what you deem acceptable (like ethically/organically raised) but you consume those products from lets say your hen's eggs and any chicken you process?
I know of a few local farmers around here who fit that description perfectly.

I only eat my own rescued hens' unfertilized eggs. I did not eat eggs for 25 years due to animal care issues and it was impossible to find humanely raised and cared for hens in the Cleveland area. Even after I moved to rural ME where everyone has chickens, it was impossible to find a chicken guardian who didn't cull their hens or slaughter some other animal in the back yard. Now I have my own rescued hens who will live with me regardless of their egg-laying ability and I will eat only their eggs.
I do not and have not for 26 years eaten flesh of any type.......including poultry and seafood. I'm always astonished when I'm asked if I eat those two species. Flesh is flesh, regardless of whether it walks, runs, flies or swims.
Regarding eating out.......I find it very annoying and disrespectful when restaurants have little to no cruelty free items on their menu...esp in this day and age.
I can't agree enough! I've met so many people who do it for the animals but still claim "Fish isn't meat." Flesh IS flesh. Those fish still have eyes, the same organs we have, a nervous system etc.
I have also had a difficult time eating out, but I have found more restaurants are marking their vegetarian/vegan items with various symbols, which is helpful. There's definitely still some work to be done for restaurants becoming more vegetarian/vegan friendly, but it's on its way.

I've been vegetarian for what'll be two years this June, and will be working on replacing each dairy item from now until that time. Hoping to start off my third year meat AND dairy free :)
Open to hearing some substitutes people use for dairy!

I'm proud of you! I started off eating everything but seafood. And soon after, I sat in front of my aquarium and thought to myself, I can't eat fish either. Then I discovered the truth behind the dairy industry and eliminated all dairy. I use soy creamer for coffee and sliced soy cheese for sandwiches. Some of those artificial cheeses are not very good, so you just have to try them out. I'm not much of a cook and not at all a baker, but I know lots of vegans who use tofu for lots of things. As you probably already know, tofu comes in a variety of textures so you can use it for desserts and soups and everything in between. I have a 60 year vegan veteran friend who used to use lots of textured veg protein, (but that's not for dairy substitutes.) I think I'd go online or at least nowadays you can find lots of vegan/veg recipe books.

I am a vegitarian for over 40 years. I have two children who are now vegitarians and we are very healthy. I became a vegitarian as a child after seeing the slaughter of a chicken on my grandmothers farm. I was the only one in my family that gave up meat. I can eat eggs and hàve been buying free range neighbors eggs because I disagree with factory farming. Ironically now raising chickens myself (which I love). I am raising for eggs only of course I do not eat chicken. I am afraid I will have problems with my chickens eggs. Any one out there, has this been a problem.?

I agree with you. I chose this lifestyle as a child 44 years ago. I could get nothing at fast food. I could only get baked potatoes or EAT AROUND THE MEAT. It is not great now but believe me it is better. I also feel vegitarians that eat fish and chicken, I don't get it. Oh and do not go to the south you will starve:)

Back
Top Bottom