Ventilation and drafts

Hey again
smile.png

For the vents, could we just cut a hole near the peak on the front and back and put up hardware cloth over it? The same way we did the windows? Or would that be too much for Winter? I'm looking through the Lowe's website and I don't know what I should go buy! Would something like this work?

Air Vent

If we put one on each end and left the slight gaps in the roof (which are above the roost but would be about level with the vents), I think that would create enough of a cross breeze to keep things moving but keep the chickens warm. So then we'd just need some caulking on the gaps between the boards of the lower walls and then some weather stripping around the windows and door to keep the drafts down.

What do you think?

Thanks again everyone!
frow.gif

Last edited:
either of the vents you described would work. Only thing with cutting a hole then putting hardware cloth(this is how my vents are) is keeping rain out. I'm all for saving a buck, but sometimes spending a few dollars can save some aggravation in the long run. How much overhand do you have on your roof where the vents would be? There is no such thing as too much ventilation in the summer. As for the winter I think you would be amazed at how much those RIR's don't mind the cold. My hens came out of the coop every day last winter and the coop was always 10F warmer. We got around 0F temps a few times here in southern new england. I know the birds can withstand much colder, but the combs and feet do risk frostbite.

Quote:
We would be putting the vents on the ends, which actually do not have any overhang. I'll spend the $5 and get the aluminum vents that keep the rain/snow out. It'll just save headaches later.

For Winter, would just placing a tarp over half the run (without using a peak) help? or does it have to be at an angle to prevent it from piling up and collapsing? We'll still add a pop door for nights and really cold days, but everyone says RIRs and RSLs are very cold hardy, so if they want out I don't see why I shouldn't let them out, I suppose.

Thanks for the replies all, I really appreciate the advice from people who have BTDT
smile.png

Last edited:
The peak is to keep the snow and rain from building up and collapsing. Cover the whole run on top to keep the snow out. If you sweep it off every day you might be ok as long as you don't get a lot overnight.

I agree with zookeeper. If you do get multiple feet of snow, you'll want to stay on top of keeping the snow off the tarp(or whatever is used for roof). If money is your concern(usually is for most of us) then maybe you could try to come up with some scrap wood, or pallet wood and build a small lean to. Something that may take the snow weight better than a tarp.

If you go with just cutting out vents and covering with hardware cloth, then as someone said, save the cutouts. You can hinge these on top (just like your window), prop or tie open, and then you don't have to worry about rain getting in, plus you can lower them almost all the way in winter.

If you can find a way to safely cover your run, then do it. Because your run is low, it'll be next to impossible for you to shovel it out. Birds that have to be contained for days/weeks aren't generally happy birds. Even if you just set a really thick 4x8 sheet of plywood across two sturdy sawhorses (so as not to put weight on the run structure. And that run will collect a LOT of snow because the housing roof is slanted down into the run...

Quote:
Very true about the snow collecting because of the roof slant, I didn't think of that. Thanks for the idea of the plywood. Our run is 4X8, so maybe we could put 2 of them side by side somehow (not sure I can find a way to support them though - we do have 2 sawhorses but I'd need to find 2 more) and put a tarp over the whole thing hanging down to the ground all around. Then it would block the wind and any snowdrifts so the girls could come out daily for some fresh air.

Hmm. Glad I have a few months to think about how to do this, and watch Craigslist for materials
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom