Vermont

We had to go back down to PA to finish fixing our house to put it on the market, and I probably won’t be back till the end of October, so probably to late :hmm. All my chickens are younger and aren’t laying yet too. I’m going to receive 9 Barred Rocks hens that are laying and a rooster at the end of October, but probably also to late.
I’m so sorry!😥 I wish I could help! I hope you can find someone else that has hatching eggs!
If I see anything, I’ll let you know!
Thanks for responding. I can probably get some to them, I'm not super far, but then I have to have one of my customers wait. I feel bad doing that, but that customer already told me it would be fine.

I had another friend that was looking for a bunch of hatching eggs last spring, but there were barely any to be had. I had to give her several dozen. Luckily I had that at the time. It feels like a lot of pressure for there to only be a few of us within a 35 mile radius that actually have fertile hatching eggs. 🤨 I may have to start handing out roosters. 😄

Thanks for responding. I can probably get some to them, I'm not super far, but then I have to have one of my customers wait. I feel bad doing that, but that customer already told me it would be fine.

I had another friend that was looking for a bunch of hatching eggs last spring, but there were barely any to be had. I had to give her several dozen. Luckily I had that at the time. It feels like a lot of pressure for there to only be a few of us within a 35 mile radius that actually have fertile hatching eggs. 🤨 I may have to start handing out roosters. 😄
Of course! Ok, that’s good. Yeah, I’ve had similar situations happen, and I always felt really bad. That’s nice of them!

Yeah, I did notice that! Everyone seems to be about an hour away from us, except for one person that lives in the same town as us.
I guess most people just don’t like having roosters?:confused: (Now granted, some people can’t have them due to where they live)
I’ve always loved having at least one rooster, and I normally keep just enough roosters to fertilize all the hens eggs. But I do know some people do NOT like having roosters, which, they have their reasons.

I will have at least 10 cockerels (it’s probably closer to 20 cockerels) that I will have to get rid of when I get back, so if you know anyone who needs any, please do not hesitate to contact me.;)

Of course! Ok, that’s good. Yeah, I’ve had similar situations happen, and I always felt really bad. That’s nice of them!

Yeah, I did notice that! Everyone seems to be about an hour away from us, except for one person that lives in the same town as us.
I guess most people just don’t like having roosters?:confused: (Now granted, some people can’t have them due to where they live)
I’ve always loved having at least one rooster, and I normally keep just enough roosters to fertilize all the hens eggs. But I do know some people do NOT like having roosters, which, they have their reasons.

I will have at least 10 cockerels (it’s probably closer to 20 cockerels) that I will have to get rid of when I get back, so if you know anyone who needs any, please do not hesitate to contact me.;)
Wow, I hope it is only ten. Did you all hatch a lot of eggs? I know some folks that could take them for food, but I can't think of anyone wanting one for a flock, but craigslist usually works for homes. You can also do FPF if you are on there.

Maybe we should start a campaign to convince people who can keep roosters to have one with their flock, then your boys would have homes, and we won't be the only ones with fertile eggs anymore. 😅

I don't know if I told you, but a dream I have is to make a rooster sanctuary, but sadly I am not there yet.

Wow, I hope it is only ten. Did you all hatch a lot of eggs? I know some folks that could take them for food, but I can't think of anyone wanting one for a flock, but craigslist usually works for homes. You can also do FPF if you are on there.

Maybe we should start a campaign to convince people who can keep roosters to have one with their flock, then your boys would have homes, and we won't be the only ones with fertile eggs anymore. 😅

I don't know if I told you, but a dream I have is to make a rooster sanctuary, but sadly I am not there yet.
I really hope it is only 10! I hatched out 10 eggs in July and then received 4 unsexed chicks also on July. There are seven boys out of those 14 chicks. I also wound up putting 24 more eggs (they were what I bought from the only person close to us) in the incubator in the beginning of August, which we wound up leaving right after I put them in the incubator. My friends have been watching the chickens for me while I have been gone, and 20 out of the 24 eggs I set hatched. So we’ll see how many roosters I have when we get back, but I’m guessing it’s over 10 :D.

Yeah, I was guessing really the only people who will take roosters will be eating them. But if other people don’t take them, we will be eating them. I’m hoping that I can sell at least some of them (if not all), because that is a lot of roosters to butcher 😅. I was going to make a post on Craigslist, and on the Vermont Chicken and Fowl Enthusiasts group that I am a part of.

That’s a good idea! I would be in support of that!
That is also an amazing idea! I would help with that! I will probably always have a lot of boys.

Forgive me, but what does FPF mean?

I really hope it is only 10! I hatched out 10 eggs in July and then received 4 unsexed chicks also on July. There are seven boys out of those 14 chicks. I also wound up putting 24 more eggs (they were what I bought from the only person close to us) in the incubator in the beginning of August, which we wound up leaving right after I put them in the incubator. My friends have been watching the chickens for me while I have been gone, and 20 out of the 24 eggs I set hatched. So we’ll see how many roosters I have when we get back, but I’m guessing it’s over 10 :D.

Yeah, I was guessing really the only people who will take roosters will be eating them. But if other people don’t take them, we will be eating them. I’m hoping that I can sell at least some of them (if not all), because that is a lot of roosters to butcher 😅. I was going to make a post on Craigslist, and on the Vermont Chicken and Fowl Enthusiasts group that I am a part of.

That’s a good idea! I would be in support of that!
That is also an amazing idea! I would help with that! I will probably always have a lot of boys.

Forgive me, but what does FPF mean?
It stands for Front Porch Forum. It is a platform for a neighborhood forum, so you can submit a post and it gets sent out in an email list to other folks in your area that signed up. You get an email, too. Some guy in Burlington started it. I don't agree with all their policies, but it does help to get the word out to folks. If you search the term you should be able to find their website, but let me know if you need any further help.

It stands for Front Porch Forum. It is a platform for a neighborhood forum, so you can submit a post and it gets sent out in an email list to other folks in your area that signed up. You get an email, too. Some guy in Burlington started it. I don't agree with all their policies, but it does help to get the word out to folks. If you search the term you should be able to find their website, but let me know if you need any further help.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh! :th
I am a part of that! Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll probably need to post them on there.

@Saveria, was the farm able to get some hatching eggs?
Yes, they were able to find some. Their rooster should be old enough soon, so hopefully they'll join the ranks as well.

Chive, was this your first Vermont fall? Even though it was long ago I remember my first very vividly, but this one wasn't the best show since it was kind of drawn out. Up here the poplars are still green. 😋

Yes, they were able to find some. Their rooster should be old enough soon, so hopefully they'll join the ranks as well.

Chive, was this your first Vermont fall? Even though it was long ago I remember my first very vividly, but this one wasn't the best show since it was kind of drawn out. Up here the poplars are still green. 😋
Well, we actually had to go back down to PA. We left in the beginning of August and we just came back 3 days ago. So we basically missed the peak of the fall :hit .
Most of the trees have lost their leaves by us, but we live on a hill, so in the distance I can see some other trees that are still holding on to their leaves.

I know someone who needs to rehome a handsome EE rooster. He is alone right now, so she is hoping to see him with a flock of some kind. Let me know if you are interested. She is in the NEK, but she may be willing to meet further away. Maybe I can even help to get him to Morrisville, or meet someone half way if you are in the Montpelier area.

EE Roo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom