Vermont

Pics
Hello,

Another Morrisville resident here. At the moment we have 9 Runners, 3 "bantam" Cochins, 2 standard Cochins and 2 Silkie Chicks. Just getting started and working with a friend who is an old poultry expert. He has a flocks of his own, but due to poor health needs to let them go to new homes. I have quick and dirty coops right now with one free exception, so I don't have room.

I was planning to build the real thing next spring and start a large flock then. We'll see how things go.

Hello everyone
Newfane (neighbors with Townshend).
big_smile.png

So, lately I've been thinking about chicks. Pretty much non-stop. I can't decide if it is better to hatch my own replacement layers from my existing flock or order feedstore chicks. I have a flock of buff orpingtons (a roo and seven hens) and I have a RIR roo in with leghorns, RIRs, golden comets, and ameracaunas. I think that I can make sex-links by collecting the leghorn eggs (the RIR roo over leghorn hens would give me chicks that are feather sexable). At any rate if I hatch my own I would have to hatch a lot in order to get the number of pullets that I'd like. My bator only holds 24 eggs, so i might have to try a couple of batches. But I really want to make sure my bator is available for turkey eggs this spring as my girls should begin laying then.

Oh decisions! *sigh*

what are you doing for chicks this spring and when will you order/ hatch them? From your own chickens or from the feedstore or a hatchery?

I just hatched 13 babies in my Christmas present Brinsea bator. The purpose was to hatch some Blue Copper marans but out of 11 eggs only 3 of those hatched. I put mixed breed eggs from my coop in with them and now have 10 of those - Barred Rock, Black Australorp, Welsummer, Speckled Sussex mixes. Anyway - lot's of beauties. I'm keeping the BC Marans but if anyone would like some new chicks they're one day old and you can PM me.

Quote:
We did, BBW, they have all gone to "freezer camp" now. Am really starting to get antsy for more this year, hopefully heritage.

I have a trio of Narragansetts. The girls should begin laying this spring and I the suspense is killing me! I am going to hatch as many of those little eggs as I possibly can!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom