Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

Sorry if I missed this, but since the horizontal nipples are spring loaded, they can be mounted at any angle right? Didn't have to be parallel to the ground? I installed several vertical nipples in my PVC waterer, but at about 60 degrees, as opposed to 90. A few will leak continuously once they get bumped.

Sorry if I missed this, but since the horizontal nipples are spring loaded, they can be mounted at any angle right? Didn't have to be parallel to the ground? I installed several vertical nipples in my PVC waterer, but at about 60 degrees, as opposed to 90. A few will leak continuously once they get bumped.
They're meant to be installed pretty much parallel to the ground/floor,
so the birds push on the trigger and sip out of the lip below it,
not sure how well they would work for the birds at an angle,
but no they won't leak like the VN's in that position.
If you try it, let us know here how it works.

I've already welded all the PVC together, so I don't have much choice but to try it at an angle. I figure they'll work about the same for getting water as the vertical, as those don't have a trough or anything.

Removed my vertical nipples and put in a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples for my 12 day old chicks tonight. They are settled down for the evening but I am going to be out there early tomorrow observing for a while to see if they are drinking out of it.

I have them in a 4x5 coop and they have been skittish about me grabbing them lately (too many butt inspections for the first week) so I only got ahold of two to show how to tap the thing, but they ought to get the hang of it given that they also had to peck a metal rod for the vertical nipple for the first 12 days of their lives.

Removed my vertical nipples and put in a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples for my 12 day old chicks tonight. They are settled down for the evening but I am going to be out there early tomorrow observing for a while to see if they are drinking out of it.
Mark the water level.
Any idea how much water they consumed per day with the verticals?
While training to to HN's, I put out an open waterer at the end of the day to make sure they go to sleep hydrated. Can be risky to change waterers during extreme temps, when health issues to dehydration can happen faster.

Is it really hot where you are?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-6-16_20-51-51.png

Yeah I am actually thinking I will put the verticals back out Monday night so that Tuesday they will stay hydrated. It will be 99 F here in Virginia that day but then 89-90 highs for the next week. I will update location, thanks.

I can’t tell how much they have been drinking, because they are emptying a total of one third to one half gallon out of two half gallon vertical waterers per day, but I am mucking out wet bedding from the foil pan underneath it and pouring nasty water from the pan out on the ground.

Thank you Doc7 for sharing. Our first chicks are about the sam size of yours in the photo. We are switching over to the chips tonight. Also. going to use the same nipples. Where did you get them? I got glowing reviews about the ones "all bout chickens" sell but was unable to complete the purchase. I kept getting error messages. They must be having some problems.

Thank you Doc7 for sharing. Our first chicks are about the sam size of yours in the photo. We are switching over to the chips tonight. Also. going to use the same nipples. Where did you get them? I got glowing reviews about the ones "all bout chickens" sell but was unable to complete the purchase. I kept getting error messages. They must be having some problems.

I am so sorry that I didn’t see your post. Too late for you, but for anyone else:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NBZH4XV?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Back
Top Bottom