Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

I have my coop sectioned off right now to put some 6 week old chickens in the back so the bigger chickens get used to them. I don't have enough room to put waterers in both sections, so could I make a small one like someone pictured earlier, and swap it out daily with another small one due to our freezing temps right now? Because I won't be able to put a deicer or warmer in them as they will be small. Has anyone made a waterer with the H-nipples that can be warmed but not take up a lot of space? Also, will the nipples be damaged if they are allowed to freeze without a warmer? I also have one of those aluminum base heaters to put a traditional waterer on, and can that be used in any way?

I have my coop sectioned off right now to put some 6 week old chickens in the back so the bigger chickens get used to them. I don't have enough room to put waterers in both sections, so could I make a small one like someone pictured earlier, and swap it out daily with another small one due to our freezing temps right now? Because I won't be able to put a deicer or warmer in them as they will be small. Has anyone made a waterer with the H-nipples that can be warmed but not take up a lot of space? Also, will the nipples be damaged if they are allowed to freeze without a warmer? I also have one of those aluminum base heaters to put a traditional waterer on, and can that be used in any way?
Yep, I swapped these out one frigid winter, didn't harm the nipples.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nipple-waterer-for-wire-crates-by-aart.72704/

Main heated waterer, takes up 8x8" of floor space:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/

I made this for my brooder that might work for the size you want. I didn't heat them though.
20170423_140822.jpg

i'm in the seattle area. we have some pretty uptight local officials who have been known to scour social media to find reasons to make visits. I don't need anyone with a clipboard making mountains out of mole hills around here. ;)
A simple PNW would do the trick and not put you at 'risk'. ;) ;)
You probably don't get cold enough there to freeze much do you?

A simple PNW would do the trick and not put you at 'risk'. ;) ;)
You probably don't get cold enough there to freeze much do you?

we've had freezing temps and snow already. it fluctuates a bit from year to year, lately we've been having colder winters. last year it was below freezing for a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom