Very ill chicken. What do I do??

tashpotato

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Hi guys, I have browses this forum as a guest for a while but after my trouble today I felt I had to post.

I have a 4 year old Colombian black tail, she's called frenchy and she's a lovely bird, she comes to see me when I'm in the garden, we can pet her and pick her up, she knows her name.

The past couple of days I have noticed that she has been quiet, when I let the others out of the run into the garden she just stays in the run (not like her at all). I find her laid down a lot, haven't seen her eat or drink and she sleeps in the spare coop on her own :/

I have moved her inside with hay and a bowl of food(layers pellets) and water (she hasn't touched either).

I was going to try feed her with a syringe but I am scared as we lost a hen last year to sour crop and I worry it may be similar.

When I picked her up earlier she felt emaciated.

Has anyone any ideas/tips?
My vets isn't open until Monday and I'm hoping I can nurse her myself.

I'm sorry your hen is sick. Keep her separated and put vitamins in her water. Do a search on sour crop. There's a lot of good info. If she isn't eating, you may have to feed her with a syringe. You don't want her to get dehydrated. Good Luck!

See if she'll eat some "mush" made with feed, water, and maybe something like molasses.
Is she pooping? What color? Is her crop emptying? Can you feel for an egg? If I have to give water, I use a spoon or syringe and drip it on the side of the beak, usually the little tongue laps it up.

Hi guys!
I heard her waking up this morning, checked on her and she's at the food and water!
I'm going to check her crop in a short while when my brother arrives (he's better with things like that, I'm scared I hurt them).

She has one poop in there, very small but it seems normal.

**edit**
There is now something watery on the floor, it's yellow with little black lumps :/ she could just be a bit warm though
Edit again...
She is pooping normally now. Through keeps laying down and closing her eyes a lot. I have fed her scrambled egg which she loved.

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I heard her waking up this morning, checked on her and she's at the food and water!
I'm going to check her crop in a short while when my brother arrives (he's better with things like that, I'm scared I hurt them).

She has one poop in there, very small but it seems normal.

**edit**
There is now something watery on the floor, it's yellow with little black lumps
hmm.png
she could just be a bit warm though

Edit again...
She is pooping normally now. Through keeps laying down and closing her eyes a lot. I have fed her scrambled egg which she loved.

When birds get too hot, they drink lots of water, which could indeed be the cause ...

... and probably was, if it looked like this. You wanna keep sick birds warm, but still have a good air flow (e.g. make big holes around the sides of the boxes they're in, or not completely covering cages )-;~

Watch the others from a distance, so you can see if there might be symptoms they've not exhibited while they knew you were there. Also, continue to check their droppings as well.

Consider the possibility that it might be worms, 'n she's just the most heavily infested or affected among your flock ... fenbendazole can be safely given, even to very sick birds (it's been tested all the way up to a full gram per kilogram of body weight ~'-)

I let her out with the others in garden today and she was pecking away but after a while she just stopped and stood still and closed her eyes, she repeated this. My brother checked her crop and felt for an egg but nothing wrong there.

She fell of her perch and is starting to get wobbly on her feet and diarrheah has started.
I want to take her to the vets tomorrow but I'm scared they'll just put her to sleep when she might be curable.

I didnt give her vitamins what should I give her?

By the looks of it she's slowly getting worse :(

Back
Top Bottom