Very vocal Wyandotte laying small eggs

hellokittyfive

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2015
I have a 22 week old Wyandotte that is very very loud!! She is standard size and started laying two weeks ago but her eggs are small, half the size of normal eggs. They have not gotten much bigger since she started. One of my standard size Ameraucana's started laying and her eggs are small too, She's the same age.

My Wyandotte, June, squaks very loud and it is not very easy on the ears!!! She started doing it weeks before she started laying. Anyone have any idea why? I have 3 yr olds GSL's that don't make that much noise! And their eggs were normal size from the start.

It isn't at all uncommon for pullets to lay very small eggs for the first few months. In fact, one should expect to get 'pullet eggs' from new layers.

Some birds are just more vocal than others.

My 3 yr olds are the first chickens I've ever had and they started with normal size, so I guess I just assumed they all lay normal from the start!

And her squawk could shatter glass . . . . . I guess she has a lot to say! I do talk to her and she stops sometimes.

I've only had one chicken (an ameraucana) in my life that laid normal/large size eggs from the start and that's after a few thousand.
I always forget how small they are until new pullets start laying.
If onset of lay is delayed, then the first eggs will be larger.

Last edited:
Interesting about the delayed lay. I got my 3 yr old GSL's in April and they started laying in mid August, same as my new babies.

Broiler breeder and other commercial breeding operations keep their birds on short days much longer than egg farms to get larger eggs from the outset so that they can start incubating when they start.

Back
Top Bottom