Vet (Maryland) DC, VA - sick / euthanize / Necropsy

Jan 12, 2019
Hello All,

Do you have a vet for sick chickens?

Do they euthanize?

If you get a necropsy, does this get reported to the state?

Does the Maryland Department of Agriculture investigate or send someone to come and look or test your flock?

Thank you,

Here is a link that you can contact in the morning to get answers for your questions:
https://mda.maryland.gov/animalHealth/Pages/laboratory.aspx
Some diseases are reportable in many states. Avian influenza or Newcastles disease are especially important. Most state vet labs will perform a necropsy and testing of tissue on a chicken, and some may euthanize them if you bring them in.

If you have any information that you want to share or ask questions, you may get some answers. Give details of age and symptoms, where the bird came from , if you have added any new birds in recent weeks or months who could have been a silent carrier, etc.

Hello All,

Do you have a vet for sick chickens?

Do they euthanize?

If you get a necropsy, does this get reported to the state?

Does the Maryland Department of Agriculture investigate or send someone to come and look or test your flock?

Thank you,

I live in Maryland, and there are several options. I go to a vet in Frederick called Bennett Creek. They have two vets who are good with chickens. There is a great vet named Anika McKillop who used to do home visits, but she's now mostly working with large farms. There are also vets in Severna Park and Cambridge, MD (Feather, Scales and Tails). It really depends on where you live, honestly.

In terms of euthanasia, after some research (and despite being a big softie and very emotional person!), I decided to euthanize on my own via decapitation. Everything I read said that vets do something called a "heart stick" which causes a longer and more painful death for a chicken. I would rather be a bit more upset than have an animal suffer in the back room of a vet.

I believe that certain necropsy results are reported to the state. I would imagine that if a necropsy showed something like Avian flu, you would get a follow up from the state, just because they are really trying to raise awareness and prevent the spread of certain things.

Back
Top Bottom