Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

thanks for the info! I had to do the surgery once and that sounds MUUUUUUCCCHHHHH EASIER!! Especially since it was on a very large and crazy Pekin duck
barnie.gif

My birds haven't had bumblefoot yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I like the sound of this solution. I don't raise fish, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Do you buy this powder at the pet store, and make a solution out of it?

ArizonaNessa, you mentioned that you and your friend had discussed the *causes* of bumblefoot. Did ya'll come to a conclusion as to what the primary cause of bumblefoot in her chickens' cases? I'm just curious because it sounds like she had/has a significant problem with the ground environment.

Thanks for sharing the info about Tricide-Neo powder. Is this an over-the-counter medication?

Best wishes,
Ed

ETA: Did a search and it comes up as a medication for Koi. 22 grams makes a gallon "dip", cost at the website I visited $27.99+sh. Sounds rather interesting. Here's a little snippet of the info there....

Background:
About five years ago, the Emerging Diseases Research Group at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine began working on treatments for resistant bacteria, and developed an agent that makes otherwise resistant bacteria susceptible to safer and older antibiotics. The potentiator that has proven effective against the "super" bugs that infect human burns is also effective against the common bacteria associated with topical infections in ornamental koi and goldfish.

Here is a link to it: Tricide-Neo Powder at www.pondrx.com

Last edited:
My sebbie goose had bumblefoot, she was limping bad one day and it was swollen and very hot. I didn't want to wait for something to be shipped to me so I went to my local Earl May and picked up some Melafix. I treated her with dips once a day for 3days keeping her foot clean & tried to keep it dry, with a sock on it held up by zip ties. After the 3rd day of dips, I let her back out with the flock and kept an eye on her and she is looking good!!

I ordered some on ebay from a Koi outlet. I have 2 hens and one duck with bumblefoot now (they have been operated on already) and Im gonna try it.
It was a very hard winter around here and Im seeing alot of everything...I have alot of experience with bumblefoot surgery and really, once the swelling is big and its moved out of just the middle of the foot pad, being around a pea size, its very hard to cure. Vets rank it at levels 1-5, and what happens is that once its out of the foot pad, it goes into the tendons and bones and its impossible to get it all out. If you get in and pop the kernel out, you can probably save the bird, but its very hard and not always that simple. One thing is that it bleeds alot, and its best to do the cutting under the faucet with running water all the time...it gets everything out.
This is staph, and though staph is everywhere, you have to wear gloves and be careful because it can be drug resistant and cause MRSA in you if it gets in a cut.
Anyway, I have had some success, and would be thrilled if this stuff worked. I will report back....and have to read the rest of the thread to see how often to do the soak.

Thanks for posting this.

You can use a diluted solution for 1 - 2 weeks depending on it's degree of contamination. Presoaking feet and cleaning in a separate container (water, saline or epson salt solution) and rinse before immersing the feet in Tricide-Neo extends the solution life. Keep the dry product sealed and dry it will last a long time. You'll use it before it goes bad for the most part. Shelf life is 18 months or to the date on the package.

Last edited:
I ordered some tricide-neo from KoiAcres just now and I'm going to mix it as a spray solution so I won't waste it. The salesman said to keep it in a cool dry place and use 2 or 3 baggies to seal it up so moisture won't get to it and that the shelf life was close to 2 years. I'm going to spray my girl's feet with it after cleaning them in a weak epsom salts solution. Hope it works - can't stand to see them limping and I know how bad it must hurt them.

Quote:
I don't think that spraying Tricide-Neo will work, as this is not a superficial open infection as it is often with Koi. I would suggest doing full 5-7 minute soaks, or you may just be wasting your time and money, and indeed, you make make the bacteria resistant to Tricide-Neo, thus ruining a good thing for everyone with your cheapness. You can try it and tell us if it works, but I highly doubt it will work as well.

Quote:
Again, I highly suggest Nettie's shoes. http://www.indoorducks.com/orders.html She originally made them for her duck with bumblefoot, but she makes them for chickens also now. It takes a few weeks to get them, but they are SO worth it. The neoprene they are made of really keeps the medicines on the foot, being absorbed 24/7.

You really don't get great results without wrapping the feet somehow, because poo and mud gets packed into the bumblefoot and reinfects the area. You'll be spending a lot more time and money treating. Like months.
old.gif

Quote:
Also, don't forget to check your perches. If you have square perches, that is your problem, replace with round perches. Also, ensure your girls are not perching on hard, rough surfaces such as nesting boxes, that might be in your coop. This is what causes the problem in the first place. Don't forget to treat the cause as well as the symptoms.

I just wanted to update that the hen who has lost her infection, who was the meanest hen I'd ever known and had this infection the entirity of her time with me, is now allowing others to perch with her, and is no longer pecking other hens for eating with her, etc. She has had a 360 degree change of personality. She used to squawk when I touched her, but now she is very nice to me. I think that the pain was immense for her, as the infection went all the way through her foot, and it was making her very defensive. She's still wearing Nettie's shoes and gets a dab of Neosporin every few days. No signs of any other infection or problems.

For mites, I highly suggest Ivermectin pour-on for cattle. You should be able to search for it here and get all of the info you need. Remember to repeat every 2 weeks.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I'm into day two of tricide neo use on one of my faverolle hens but I had to do bumblefoot surgery on the other faverolle hen when one of the plugs on her right foot loosened up and was just hanging there. I've been soaking their feet in warm water mixed with epsom salt, rinsing with fresh water,drying and placing the one faverolle hen in the tricide neo for 7 minutes in distilled water. I used two and a half teaspoons tricide neo to 2 quarts of water,half from what the directions call for. I hope it works or I'll have to proceed with foot surgery next week. The other faverolle hens feet that I did minor surgery on yesterday are healing quickly. There was a smaller 'black spot' on her left foot as well and I went on ahead and took care of that one too. I'll let everyone know the progress of the tricide neo vs surgery healing times in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom