Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

I think you have to post a certain number of posts when you first join BYC before they'll let you attach any photos. It's a safety measure to prevent obnoxious posts, I think. I think you can add photos after either 5 or 10 posts, though, so maybe you'll be able to by now? If not, look around the "Welcome to the site" type info & maybe you can find something more useful.
I am sorry you're having a number of difficulties with chickens at the same time!
hugs.gif
It can TRULY be exhausting!! Sometimes you have to decide what to treat & what to not as much. It's hard. Chickens aren't designed to be as sturdy as cats & dogs...

I just had a question, and I will admit I didn't read this whole thread, so I don't know if someone answered this or not...but if you treat chickens that do not actually have bumblefoot, could it affect them at all? Could it stop it from starting?

My rooster has bumble foot bad like how you described it. And you didn't cut him open? I would like to try this technique that you used if so.

I read most of this thread but I'm a little confused I have a rooster with a hard as a rock bumble foot that he has had for a while. I am willing to do surgery but if I can avoid it I will. He is also about a 4-5 year old rooster I believe.

If I have to go with surgery can I give him anything to numb the pain? What supplies show I have handy during the surgery? I looked at a couple forums and understand how to go through the surgery.
Thank you,
Wind-n-Leaves

Last edited:
You can read suggestions for some surgery tools & other ideas in the Bumblefoot section of the Poultry Podiatry page on the website linked in my sig below.

I have the same problem! I have a rooster, Rudy, who started limping, and I thought he had bumblefoot. I saw the videos of how to do the surgery, but I decided I could not do it. I took him to my horse vet, who told me it was not bumblefoot, and explained the difference. There is something wrong with him, and my vet consulted chicken vets, but nobody really knows what ails chickens. Rudy is on antibiotics and antibacterial meds. Today, another chicken, a former battery hen now really has bumblefoot. I need help! Did you have success with non surgical treatment? Thank you!

I have the same problem! I have a rooster, Rudy, who started limping, and I thought he had bumblefoot. I saw the videos of how to do the surgery, but I decided I could not do it. I took him to my horse vet, who told me it was not bumblefoot, and explained the difference. There is something wrong with him, and my vet consulted chicken vets, but nobody really knows what ails chickens. Rudy is on antibiotics and antibacterial meds. Today, another chicken, a former battery hen now really has bumblefoot. I need help! Did you have success with non surgical treatment? Thank you!

I've used Tricide Neo. Small cases of bumblefoot clear up in about a week using Tricide Neo. However with larger cases, it takes much longer. Personally I prefer to do the surgery; it's quicker, easier and less expensive.
As far as your rooster goes; he may have sprained or pulled a ligament. Here's a link for you that may help: See post #3:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/872474/help#post_13228358

Last edited:
Bumble Foot?
I have a hen that I believe has bumblefoot. There's a slightly fat middle toe (minor swelling) & a black spot on the bottom base of that toe near the center pad - no limping. After reading several pages of treatment, I decided to order the Tricide Neo & vet wrap. In the meantime I soaked it in Epsom saltwater & applied basic triple antibiotic ointment until my order arrives. While checking all the other hens' feet, I noticed that the majority have small black spots without any swelling & definitely no limping. About 1/16" biggest 1/8" in size.

Question 1: Could all of the spots be bumblefoot in the making? Is there something else that causes black spots. I've had them a year & never noticed anything. They are all happily laying eggs as usual. Two months ago we started allowing them to free range. Perhaps they are getting into something. The fav spot to hang out is under a pine tree.

Question 2: What about prevention? (if most to all have this condition, I must need to change something.) They're all heavy breeds. Sand in coop & run, but pine shavings in nest boxes. The bottom roost is 18" off floor & the upper roost is another 18". The top hens jump from the lower roost to the upper one. Anything to change?

Thank you in advance.

I would like to know hoe the grapefruit seed extract (GSE) was used? Directly on the bumblefoot?

I have GSE and can start this immediately. As opposed to tracking down the Tricide Neo Powder.

Back
Top Bottom