Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

I ordered some tricide-neo from KoiAcres just now and I'm going to mix it as a spray solution so I won't waste it. The salesman said to keep it in a cool dry place and use 2 or 3 baggies to seal it up so moisture won't get to it and that the shelf life was close to 2 years. I'm going to spray my girl's feet with it after cleaning them in a weak epsom salts solution. Hope it works - can't stand to see them limping and I know how bad it must hurt them.

Mine came today from Koi Acres...I have to wait until she goes in the coop because limp or no limp, she is not letting me get near her. I am glad to read that I can dilute and use the solution again as I was thinking about the cost as well.

Thanks for sharing about this stuff....poor Koi fish owners will wonder about the sudden bum-rush on this product.
wink.png

Ok folks, here we go! I got my tri-neo today in the mail. I've mixed up my solution of oxine and water to soak and clean before doing the tri-neo soak. I'm here trying to find out how much powder to make a small batch, and to watch the video again on wrapping the foot.

Here's my little bumblefoot baby, Angelica, right before I picked her up and took her into the shop for the procedure.

Angelica.jpg

Here is the offending bumblefoot.

Bumblefoot.jpg

First I cleaned her foot with a solution of Oxine and warm water. I scrubbed it well with a soft toothbrush, nails and all for a good 5 minutes.
Then we moved onto the tri-neo soak. Little blurry, she moved while I was taking her photo. We soaked for another 5 minutes.

Soak.jpg

Then, it's a wrap!

Wrapped.jpg

Tada!

Tada.jpg

Annnnd back with her flock.

BackwiththeFlock.jpg

The bad part, I learned that she had mites pretty bad! I saw them! I came in and itched from head to toe so I jumped in the shower! Looks like my weekend will consist of cleaning the coop and dusting all my birds.

cute pics and lovely birds. could you not get away with NOT wrapping her. At least some earlier seem to have not done so. just for your thoughts. quite a bumble on that girl. she seems so calm in the soak. i bet my ducks won't be that calm!

I had read that others were wrapping because they'd put a dab of hemorroid creme on the foot for swelling which I did and forgot to mention. Also, we had a lot of rain today and last night and the ground is saturated. I spread hay all over their run to try to soak up the puddles. Not sure, this is a first for me. What I really wanted to do was keep the area clear of mud mostly.

chicky:

good to hear and good thinking, about the extra cream. i wish ducks feet were as easy to bandage as a chx.
that is vet wrap, correct?

Quote:
so you can get away with a spray?

Well...below is a link that talks about using a spray bottle, but on fish. I am going to try mixing the solution, putting a small amount in a small spray bottle, soaking the feet with the spray, keep my bumble-footed bird in a clean place, then rinse the foot of the spray. If it does not do anything within a week to improve her condition, I will go to the soak method. It's worth trying because I have several birds with bumble foot, most in the beginning stages with no swelling at the top of the foot. I don't know what is causing it - they have a supurb diet and basically the pen they are in is soft, sandy dirt. The only thing I can think of is that occasionally when the wind is blowing strongly, a gumball or pinecone drops into the pen and possibly before I see it to throw it out, one of them has stepped on it. There are very few, if any, rocks in the pen.

http://www.koivet.com/a_tricide_neo_koi_spray_ulcers.html

Back
Top Bottom