Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

i got to wondering- do they need roosts? or would a wider board prevent the pressure points completely- seeing as i have a couple that like shelves?

ok, been soaking my girls feet for a week, they have gotten used to that, not happy, but it is slowly clearing up- but one girl has a swelling on her foot- should they be on antibiotics? i did lower the roosts in the main coop, they weren't too happy about it, but seem to be getting used to it-
24037_cocoafoot.jpg

Hi All.
Im in the Uk and cannot get hold of TRICIDE-NEO. Can anyone tell me if it is the same as POTTASSIUM PERMANGANATE? My chicken has bumblefoot in both feet. One foot has two scabs, one with a swelling. This one i had soaked and taken off the scab and 'scraped inside as no plug came out. :(Today I have seen pus once squeezed. She is so good and lets me bandage her up with vetrap. I want to start treating the other bumbles with Tricide Neo but nee to know if it is the same as Potassium permanganate
hmm.png
sad.png
. I also cannot buy Neosporin in this country!! How can I treat my girl?

Hope someone can shed some light.
big_smile.png

Quote:
looking at the searches online- i don't see it being available in the UK, i am wondering if you could get someone in the US to send it to you? i am using it for my girls for the first time, and it is slowly clearing up- pm me if you want and i can try to get the stuff and ship it to you- can you get a generic version of neosporin or antibacterial ointment?

what about a UK based pond shop online?

Last edited:
There is no Potassium Permanganate in the Tricide Neo list of ingedients. It is apparently primarily a formulation Neomycin Sulfate with a couple of other active ingedients that help the neomycin penetrate the tissue. Such is what I read it that helps any. I would think that if you find a comparable product that treats the same conditions in the koi fish, it might be worth a shot.

There are several other threads on BYC with other methods that have apparently been successful.

One other site (http://www.avianweb.com/bumblefoot.html) says...
Infections: Where some penetration has occurred, infections are likely to occur. Bacteria, including staph, have been identified in some rare cases of bumble foot, if the wound hasn’ t been noticed and treated before it becomes acute. Typically antibiotics, such as erythomycin or penicillin, are prescribed by the vet, if the infection is serious enough. If left untreated, the infection will eventually eat into the bone and travel to other parts of the body. This is a painful condition that can potentially be life endangering.

* Cause of action: Antibiotic treatments as prescribed by the vet, and topical treatments, such as CEH ointment (Calendula, Echinacea, and Hypericum) has also been used to treat this condition. The general recommendation is to clean the feet thoroughly, apply liberal amount of CEH (or whatever antibiotic ointment was prescribed by the vet) and wrap with gauze to keep ointment in place and feet clean. Apply twice a day until feet appear healthy.

The last paragraph at http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/18/37/ might applicable for you in the UK. The site and author are referred to by others periodically.

Last edited:
Quote:
looking at the searches online- i don't see it being available in the UK, i am wondering if you could get someone in the US to send it to you? i am using it for my girls for the first time, and it is slowly clearing up- pm me if you want and i can try to get the stuff and ship it to you- can you get a generic version of neosporin or antibacterial ointment?

Thanks for replys guys.
Ive looked everywhere for something that will help, but no luck. There are alot of regulations in this country. Have spoken to a Koi shop owner who has nothing to recommend that is like TRICIDE NEO.

Ive soaked Ken's feet again this morning in epsom salts and almost dug out the hole. All the while, i am washing with a TCP wash, and salvon wash. There has never seemed to be a plug, more like hard cheese. A couple of days ago there was a small amount of pus but the lump is hard, which I am assuming is full of the hard cheesy stuff. I really should have taken some pics this morning:rolleyes:

The difficult thing is that she is such a large bird anyway and also suffers with 'the water balloon' thing, where we have to drain her once a week.

Quote:

Thanks for replys guys.
Ive looked everywhere for something that will help, but no luck. There are alot of regulations in this country. Have spoken to a Koi shop owner who has nothing to recommend that is like TRICIDE NEO.

Ive soaked Ken's feet again this morning in epsom salts and almost dug out the hole. All the while, i am washing with a TCP wash, and salvon wash. There has never seemed to be a plug, more like hard cheese. A couple of days ago there was a small amount of pus but the lump is hard, which I am assuming is full of the hard cheesy stuff. I really should have taken some pics this morning:rolleyes:

The difficult thing is that she is such a large bird anyway and also suffers with 'the water balloon' thing, where we have to drain her once a week.

When the foot has been soaked and you are cleaning it up you need to squeeze the tissue around the lump. This stuff won't come out on its own you need to work to get it out. The cheesy stuff is the pus and you need to squeeze to get it out. There sounds to be a kernel of this stuff in the lump and I had one that didn't have a plug and I had to dig and squeeze to get it out of there. Leaving one trace of this stuff just causes it to come back.

Good Luck

Quote:
Thanks for replys guys.

When the foot has been soaked and you are cleaning it up you need to squeeze the tissue around the lump. This stuff won't come out on its own you need to work to get it out. The cheesy stuff is the pus and you need to squeeze to get it out. There sounds to be a kernel of this stuff in the lump and I had one that didn't have a plug and I had to dig and squeeze to get it out of there. Leaving one trace of this stuff just causes it to come back.

Good Luck

I have read some where that you aren't suppose to squeeze the pus out just dig it out. I'll have to look for where I read it.

Well I did it and Im sorry there wasnt any batteries in the camera to take pics.

I got myself a craft scalpel and cut into the top of her foot. You could almost see the cheesy stuff trying to push its way out.

After the first small cut, there was blood
sickbyc.gif
which worried me, but hubby held her whilst I ran the foot under warm water running tap. All the while i have a mixture of salvon wound wash and tcp and water so I am washing the cut.

Immedaitely you could see the 'corn kernal/scrambled egg looking stuff
sickbyc.gif
I had to make the insision bigger and dug pieces out in small clumps. I could not find this 'plug'. I was starting to panic as I didnt know what this was doing to my poor girl, but I couldnt have left it.
sad.png

After a while working on the toe, i started to see flesh and could put my manicure scissor blade through the original scab hole and see it through the insision hole. There was one really stubborn bit around the original site, and Im still not sure if I got it all out.

I flushed the wound, covered in Germolene,and padded and wrapped with a bandage and Vetrap. Im unsure as to whether it should have been stitched or left open.

I set her down and she is walking on it, but there is a limp there as you can imagine.
I will change the dressing first thing in the morning and really dont know how its going to pan out for her.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom