Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

Well, we actually managed to drain Ken today and much to all our relief (especially Ken's) she seems so much better.

I've taken some photos of before draining, during draining and after to give you some idea of what we are dealing with. There is also a picture of what we drained off!

beforedrain.jpg

Before the drain

dscf4730a.jpg

During the drain. You can see the needle. We leave the needle in and change syringes when they are full.

aferdrain.jpg

After the drain. See the difference in size!! Ken was almost asleep now, she was most definately relieved.

dscf4732l.jpg

The fluid we drained from her. This has to be done every 5-7 days.

Ken has an existing problem with what we thought was EYP but now think its a water balloon. We did try to drain her the other day but got nothing. Her breathing has been really bad today when she sits down. Thus being because the fluid build up pushes up on her lungs.
After trying again we drained just over a pint and she is back to normal. Will soak and redress the feet in the morning
smile.png

Miss Lydia; thankyou. I hope so too. I think the Baytril may be working, or maybe I feel more relaxed thinking its been taken out of my hands in a sense as the anti biotics are attempting to fight this now. Ken really does not like taking the Baytril, as she has 1.5ml syringed twice a day.

We are now soaking and changing the bandages every other day. And keeping our fingers crossed. I will let this original bumble heal and then have a go at the other foot, but I think the soaks are helping a little.

My pleasure. Just hope it helps others. Don't know what us chicken parents would do without these sites:D

Quote:
We've tried operating a little on a couple of our chicken's feet. Bumblefoot seems to be rather rampant in my coop right now.
sad.png

So the infection is the awful white/yellow stuff under that scab? The hubby and I weren't sure if it was pus or the fat part of her foot and didn't further scrape - it bled like crazy! We didn't want to totally damage her foot in the process so we stopped.

Would it be ok to soak her in the tricide-neo since we've already cut her foot open?

We have 3 with severe cases of it. One has it on both feet (only one foot is swollen), one has it on one foot, but it's swollen really bad and the other has it on just a toe (which is swollen). We have several more with very tender looking feet and early stages of it, so we are treating their feet with iodine and blu-kote and sending them on their merry way. I am considering the tricide-neo to soak the ones with early stages of it.

I'd appreciate any advice! thanks!

Quote:
We've tried operating a little on a couple of our chicken's feet. Bumblefoot seems to be rather rampant in my coop right now.
sad.png

So the infection is the awful white/yellow stuff under that scab? The hubby and I weren't sure if it was pus or the fat part of her foot and didn't further scrape - it bled like crazy! We didn't want to totally damage her foot in the process so we stopped.

Would it be ok to soak her in the tricide-neo since we've already cut her foot open?

We have 3 with severe cases of it. One has it on both feet (only one foot is swollen), one has it on one foot, but it's swollen really bad and the other has it on just a toe (which is swollen). We have several more with very tender looking feet and early stages of it, so we are treating their feet with iodine and blu-kote and sending them on their merry way. I am considering the tricide-neo to soak the ones with early stages of it.

I'd appreciate any advice! thanks!

Silly me, I see that you did use the soak on an open wound.
smile.png

i have a couple i am battling this with, one girl is clearing up after dabbing it 4 times a day with teatree oil, and she is confined, her buddy has a worse case and looking at it this morning i am afraid i will have to do the surgery- its worth a try with the teatree oil though in early cases- it an oil and is a natural antiseptic- they have it in the healthfood section at walmart

Back
Top Bottom