Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

I wonder if non-activated, diluted Oxine AH might be useful to spray on or into a foot after removing a bumble or when a bird has an injury that might get infected... Staphylococcus aureus (which causes Bumblefoot) is one of the bacteria that Oxine is proven to kill quickly on contact.

Hmm...

I did a round of tri-Neo on my hen, she had 2 on each foot. Now she has 1 left that needs to be cut open because it's still a hard kernal. But I was suprised to see the results with that stuff! It's good, esp if used early.

I did cheat, tho. I wrapped her feed in bandage, and poured the mixture on the bandage until soaked. At night. The next night I just resoaked the bandage. 5 days.

I did a round of tri-Neo on my hen, she had 2 on each foot. Now she has 1 left that needs to be cut open because it's still a hard kernal. But I was suprised to see the results with that stuff! It's good, esp if used early.

I did cheat, tho. I wrapped her feed in bandage, and poured the mixture on the bandage until soaked. At night. The next night I just resoaked the bandage. 5 days.

Thanks, seminolewind. Could you let us know what you find, and how she does, if you do the surgery? I am curious as to whether a failure with TricideNeo really does indicate a hardened kernel.

I did a round of tri-Neo on my hen, she had 2 on each foot.  Now she has 1 left that needs to be cut open because it's still a hard kernal.  But I was suprised to see the results with that stuff!  It's good, esp if used early. 

I did cheat, tho.  I wrapped her feed in bandage, and poured the mixture on the bandage until soaked.  At night.  The next night I just resoaked the bandage.  5 days. 
You did this instead of soaking?

do you think the soak would work even if i cannot see any scab(s)? My roo's foot is red not swollen or very little swelling but i cannot see any scabs or cuts. he limps but no other symptoms. he is on an antibiotic for the past 3 days.

Welasharon, I don't have alot of patience soaking. So I put bandages on, and pour the soak on the bandage.

Chicksooner, If you don't see a scab or you only feel a little swelling, I would try epsom salts first , it's cheaper.

Welasharon, I don't have alot of patience soaking.  So I put bandages on, and pour the soak on the bandage.

Chicksooner, If you don't see a scab or you only feel a little swelling, I would try epsom salts first , it's cheaper. 
What kind of bandage do you use. I have been using vet wrap. I like the idea of soaking the bandage better...time is of such a premium for me.

I wrap their foot in gauze. Then I use silk tape and tape the foot up real good so it stays on. Duct tape would work, so would that vet wrap? That stretchy stuff that sticks to itself. Anything that will hold the gauze in place. The gauze stays wet at night and dries during the day. If it gets really dirty, I change it.

I have used this stuff before and it does work on the bumble if you get it early enough. I have had some BAD issues with bumblefoot from pine tree needles and was desperate to find something without cutting all my girls feet open. It works on about 70% of the girls now. Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom