[VIDEO] Owl snags one of my ducks

Pics

erkme73

Chirping
Jul 22, 2021
So shortly before 3AM, an owl attacked the smallest (runt) of my 10 ducks. It was a mallard, about half the size of the other ducks. All the ducks are only 10 weeks old, and this one had particularly bad vision. It always seemed to hone in on the group with sound instead of sight, and was always last to get to the feeder when it was replenished.

The owl waited until the runt drifted from the tight group and then pounced on it. It then dragged the duck to the edge, and up on to the grass. Still having some fight in her, the duck dragged itself and the owl back into the pond, where the owl sat on her for several minutes (presumably to drown her) and then again pulled her back to shore. At that point, the owl flew away, but we couldn't tell if the duck was in its claws. An hour later it returned to the spot of the killing - so I think it may have just left it there for a while. After this clip stops, I found the owl returned to several points in the yard around daybreak (550a) and then left.

So, my question is, is there anything I can do to keep this from happening again? I'm sure even suggesting to dispatch the owl probably breaks multiple federal laws, so I suspect that option of off the table.

Since it came back and loitered several more hours after the kill, I have to presume it's interested in the other ducks. But perhaps they're too big for it?

Coyote and Fox will come around during the day too. I hear the coyote more than see them up behind the birds fenced area in the woods but Foxes I’ve seen during the day. Bob cats too. Hawks also dine on duck. It’s a never ending battle when we have animals that are called prey. And then there are the raccoons, bears, and mink and weasels and that isn’t naming them all lol.

Ducks are naturally afraid of everything. It will take time but keep being persistent and consistent. Only feed them inside nowhere else. You are more than likely going to have to catch them somehow or herd them to shore and have someone ready to get them as they come out, keep them inside their pen for at least a week so they know this is a safe area. It takes time and patience when ducks have been traumatized poor things need that protection. I saw where someone used a long rope had one person on each side of their pond and drug the rope across the water slowly to get their ducks out then someone was there to catch them as they came out. Or if you can get enough people make a fence out into the water with an opening going into their new pen, and herd them in that way. Or use that cheap plastic fencing. Whatever you do is going to be hard on them but just keep in mind your doing this to protect them and give them a happy safe life,

I'm sorry for your loss😢 Both owls and ducks are two of my favorite animals and I'm sad that owls eat ducks. There is an owl that will often fly tree to tree when I go on my walks and these past couple of days it started showing up at my house sitting outside my kitchen window on the fence or willow tree in the back lawn. Instead of my ducks free ranging from 7am-7pm now they are only out for 5-6 hours when I'm out there with them. We also had to re-think the new duck area and are turning the duck yard into a duck aviary with overhead protection. While Mr. Owl (as my Winnie the Pooh loving kids have named him) didn't attack any of my ducks he has served as a ever looming reminder of how defenseless ducks are to ground, water and aerial predators.

Mr. Owl:
PXL_20210915_174335531~2.jpg

PXL_20210916_164355619.MP.jpg

PXL_20210916_164346073~2.jpg

What beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting those. It's nice to see them in daylight/full color. All of my experiences have been at night.

Incidentally, yesterday I took a long rope and several adults to corral the ducks (took several attempts) into the pen. Man, were they freaked out - shaking, shivering, even scraping their bills against the chicken wire to the point I was concerned they'd hurt themselves.

However, after adding food, and leaving them be, 24 hours later they are relaxed and enjoying the partial shade and the small portion of the pond that extends into the pen. Although, they didn't sleep at all last night.

The plan is to spoil them for the next couple of days, and then hope they return to it on their own after they're let out.

Back
Top Bottom