Violetsfeathers Flock

Pics

She is so soft and fluffy now, she'll sleep much better tonight
The question is, should I let her stay broody??

Last edited:
I gave muffin a bath today too, she had a couple mites on her, not nearly as bad as raspberry. Raspberry had northern fowl mites, I'm guessing muffin has the same thing.
It took me three hours to wash and dry raspberry yesterday to get all the mites off and cuz she has so much feathers. Muffin only took about half that time, all her feathers are scraggly.

Speckles has developed a limp, I noticed it before but figured I was imagining it. I checked her feet, it is not Bumblefoot. I'm pretty sure she has arthritis.

I just had an awful thought. What if Marshmallow is too old to lay eggs? I got her Feb 2015 so she could be three years old, that's about the age ginger and speckles stopped laying (Speckles has started again, no idea why)

I don't want her so be broody so long she gets sick, she is skinnier that when she started but at the same time I don't want her to have been broody for nothing.

I know exactly how you feel, I lost my little Pekin because she went all broody on me and I was not conversant with the whole scene. She deteriorated right before my eyes but she wouldn't get off the nest,she passed and I threw away the eggs it was very traumatic. Do what you think is best for her. She'll get over it look after her ditch the eggs and buy some chicks for her. I wish I had done that.

I know exactly how you feel, I lost my little Pekin because she went all broody on me and I was not conversant with the whole scene. She deteriorated right before my eyes but she wouldn't get off the nest,she passed and I threw away the eggs it was very traumatic. Do what you think is best for her. She'll get over it look after her ditch the eggs and buy some chicks for her. I wish I had done that.

I kick raspberry off the nest at least twice a day and make sure she eats and drinks. Yesterday I locked her in a pen outside. I should probably do that more often. I think I'll keep her off the nest as much as possible but not enough to make her stop being broody. I think she should gain at least a little more weight now that there aren't any mites sucking the life outta her.

Got an egg from snowberry and Scarlett today.
I dusted raspberry and Muffin with dietemacious earth. Then checked the other chickens and dusted about half of them cuz I saw a mite. Speckles had lice AND mites.

Got five eggs yesterday, Sweetie and snowberry both layed one. speckles' had a very thin shell and broke when it hit the other eggs so I gave it to the chickens. Marshmallow hasn't layed. I've been getting one egg from dot or pebbles. Raspberry is still broody

Last edited:
Got six eggs yesterday,

I had a dream last night that I was at my friends house, (her dad breeds chickens) and I dreamt that there were peacocks there the size of a dove. And I was like, wouldn't that be so cool?!!! It is possible to make a chicken/peacock hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom