Virginia creeper, herbicide, chickens, elp.

thebulg

Chirping
Aug 20, 2015
North carolina
We're in north carolina.

Long story short: virginia creeper eating my yard, primarily grapes, blueberries and my hydrangeas. Things i have tried so far: the beloved vinegar blue dawn solution; drill a hole and fill with salt; repeated rip downs; digging up the roots.

Things i will never try again: weed whacking and mowing, which just sent shoots off that embedded themselves other places.

I'm torn between a blow torch or herbicide. IF IF IF i went the herbicide route, my plan would be to use the brush on what's left when i cut it back as close to the ground as i can.

Most of it is out front, where our chickens rarely go.

If you have no experience with virginia creeper, i dont mean to be rude, but your input likely wont have much impact on my overall decision. It's a monster of a plant and really hard to kill.

It would mean the world to me if someone has effectively gotten rid of it and can tell me a strategy that works! I want herbicide to be my last resort and i would rather burn, but i'm not sure if it's a good idea and i am not sure if the little bit of irritant in the roots and vines is similar to poison ivy once burned.

Help?

I'd also love an ideal solution for the poison ivy that's everywhere here!!! Generally, poultry and herbicides don't mix, and playing at pulling it out isn't good for me. Any solutions out there? Mary

Back
Top Bottom