Virginia

Hooray, for Martha the game hen! All of the Australorp clutch she was setting popped. Her third adopted clutch of the season. I'm play'n the proud granpa..; 0)

Hooray, for Martha the game hen! All of the Australorp clutch she was setting popped. Her third adopted clutch of the season. I'm play'n the proud granpa..; 0)

Yay!! I'm so glad for you! ;-) My VERY FIRST broody hen (a hatchery dutch) has been sitting on six eggs... and they just started hatching this afternoon!! Four out of the six have hatched, and the last two have the first pip holes. ;-)

And i know people say that you are supposed to gather the eggs and store them at a certain temperature and then when she goes broody, to pop them all under her. But I just left them in the nest, and she started sitting on them when there was five (and laid one more) and now they are all hatching in one day! I am glad to know that this way works. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay!! I'm so glad for you! ;-) My VERY FIRST broody hen (a hatchery dutch) has been sitting on six eggs... and they just started hatching this afternoon!! Four out of the six have hatched, and the last two have the first pip holes. ;-)

And i know people say that you are supposed to gather the eggs and store them at a certain temperature and then when she goes broody, to pop them all under her. But I just left them in the nest, and she started sitting on them when there was five (and laid one more) and now they are all hatching in one day! I am glad to know that this way works. :)
Lovely pictures!

Yay!! I'm so glad for you! ;-) My VERY FIRST broody hen (a hatchery dutch) has been sitting on six eggs... and they just started hatching this afternoon!! Four out of the six have hatched, and the last two have the first pip holes. ;-) And i know people say that you are supposed to gather the eggs and store them at a certain temperature and then when she goes broody, to pop them all under her. But I just left them in the nest, and she started sitting on them when there was five (and laid one more) and now they are all hatching in one day! I am glad to know that this way works. :)
Hi Sue, I have enjoyed the pictures and thinking, what a proud momma. Not you the chicken momma. Lol, YES you too.

I read an old posting and it was the funnist way to handle a serious situation. It is by adoptedbychickens. I copied it to Random Ramblings to bring attention to adoptedbychickens's old post. A moderator said it is also among suggested readings. I think that is great. I went further and said I think all forum titles should begin with it. It really is a well written piece and done with such a dry wit tackling a difficult subject. I hope all takes time to go back and read her post. It will be worth your while.

Yay!! I'm so glad for you! ;-) My VERY FIRST broody hen (a hatchery dutch) has been sitting on six eggs... and they just started hatching this afternoon!! Four out of the six have hatched, and the last two have the first pip holes. ;-) And i know people say that you are supposed to gather the eggs and store them at a certain temperature and then when she goes broody, to pop them all under her. But I just left them in the nest, and she started sitting on them when there was five (and laid one more) and now they are all hatching in one day! I am glad to know that this way works. :)
Thank you! I think nature knows a lot more about how to handle things than some of the advice that's given, so freely...

Well I am done.
It would have to be a fantastik trade for me to trade again at a swap.
I am done hatching.
I like it better when they hatch them for me as they are readily accepted into the fold. Love my Calico Cochin Bantam Broody Hens.

Back
Top Bottom