Virginia

Hi, i'm in Page County and I have Cochins. Just One rooster and 4 hens. I also have a red hen and a mystery hen. These two were given to me since their flock
got eaten by a chicken hawk. This is my first time with chickens. Started out with a straight run of 10 and ended up giving away some roosters.
This group are like pets. My rooster lets me hug him good nite while on his perch. The look on his face is priceless though.
I am excited because I bought 14 eggs that are bantam cochins smooth and frizzles. can't wait till hatching to see how many frizzles.
My group have been laying 3-4 eggs a day since last Sept.
Its a fun hobby but not that cheap.

Haha! You are so right...all those articles on how inexpensive it is to raise chickens and well...maybe not if you don't have 20 acres with your chickens in the center to free range 100%
1f61c.png
Bedding- hay, straw, shavings, endless options. Feed-flockraiser, layer crumbles or mash or pellets, oyster shell, scratch, rooster booster, DE,poultry dust or....yeah
1f60b.png

Haha! You are so right...all those articles on how inexpensive it is to raise chickens and well...maybe not if you don't have 20 acres with your chickens in the center to free range 100%
1f61c.png
Bedding- hay, straw, shavings, endless options. Feed-flockraiser, layer crumbles or mash or pellets, oyster shell, scratch, rooster booster, DE,poultry dust or....yeah
1f60b.png
Not to mention all the building supplies...

And you don't want to try to be cheap and get sawmill lumber for a big project either! Hard as all get out to get nails into, screws aren't strong enough for some boards without pilot holes and it is so HEAVY by yourself. So much money on bent nails...

Every building around my place is built with sawmill lumber. Never had those problems and paid a fraction as much as it would to get the same lumber from the big box stores.

Pneumatic tools are your friend when doing construction projects.

I should know all the costs... I'm about to build be a new (big) laying flock coop. I have two hoop house that are framed by wood and cattle panel fencing. The wood frames the bottom to make a square and the the fencing (it's actually really strong) is stretched into an arch-way shape and that it covered by two very durable tarps. But my plan is to build the new coop and then tear down the old coops and recycle the cattle panel and use them to frame the breeding pens I need to build.

But, I just built a new rabbit shed, and have already spent over $200 on it and haven't finished the door yet either, and that'll cost a lot. We're planning on building the door the be a rolling door, so the hardware to build that will cost....

Every building around my place is built with sawmill lumber. Never had those problems and paid a fraction as much as it would to get the same lumber from the big box stores.

I'll tell someone what tools I'm using, and they seem to assume they're my hubby's... then they laugh when I correct them. all the woodworking tools are MINE! he's the mechanic so he's allowed his own toolbox. LOL

air nailer, crown stapler, brad nailer and grinder. chop saw, table saw, circular saw, sawzall, not to mention the dewalt 20v set of drills, drivers, etc. LOL

he knows what keeps me happy.

Dh learned fast that if something of his is missing just ask me
1f603.png
He bought himself the 18v power tool combo kit a couple of years ago but it became mine pretty fast. I don't recall him hardly using them actually. But that's also how he gets to buy new things- I've "stolen" his
1f61c.png

Where does one find sawmill lumber? Is it the same as rough cut lumber? My stash of free pallets and wood is running low!

I love air tools! My wrists are shot, so hubby gave me a compressor and tools last Christmas
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom