Virginia

no, just new to this forum... we have had chickens for over 10years but still so much to learn, in 2020 my son (8 then) took over chicken duties, in 2021 we hatched batches of our own for the first time, and want to try hatching again!

looking for French or Black Copper Marans or any other dark egg layer... trying to stay local instead of doing big hatcheries..any suggestions?
Unfortunately all the local or I guess the few local things I knew of kind of shut down last few years. There’s one place I knew that was from the hatcheries but I noticed this year they’ve got them on pre-order and almost $20 per chick now! At this point I’m just thinking about breaking down and buying the incubator i saw at the co op.

Unfortunately all the local or I guess the few local things I knew of kind of shut down last few years. There’s one place I knew that was from the hatcheries but I noticed this year they’ve got them on pre-order and almost $20 per chick now! At this point I’m just thinking about breaking down and buying the incubator i saw at the co op.
It’s crazy how everyone is ramping up the pricing!

It’s crazy how everyone is ramping up the pricing!
Quite scary. Even the increase in chicken food prices. That’s why I amping up the garden And reminding myself of my canning skills. Because seems as though that’s the way it’s become. I guess I feel lucky to have at least some land to be able to do this upon
But even then it’s really hard to afford just start being self sustainable. Crazy right?!

We started a garden when we moved a few years ago and it grows every year. Thankfully we’ve stockpiled, gathered & order heirloom seeds when needed.

We picked up canning supplies on clearance this year and canned quite a bit! I remember growing up around that in my grandmothers kitchen. Try not to waste anything vegetable or fruit related (what we don’t eat the chickens enjoy as long as it’s not spoiled)

unfortunately the only mill close to us closed down a little less than a year ago. It’s was the best feed around for a great price! I go to Rural King now for feed, not ideal, but $7-10 cheaper than TSC or anywhere else — just have to watch the dates on everything.

Before you buy an incubator, check with your local Agricultural Extension agent. They're usually in charge of 4H and classroom hatches. For a long time, ours loaned out small 'bators to every kindergarten classroom that wanted one. When the pandemic hit, classroom hatches stopped and never really got started again. Only a few classrooms still do hatches, so the Ag agency has a bunch of extra incubators still in storage. Maybe you can borrow one ... It's worth a try!

Back
Top Bottom