Virginia

and now I have the most beautiful flock with everything from speckled sussex, araucanas and more. They are so colorful! I would warn against neighbor dogs, though. Our neighbor dogs killed 2 of or 4 first chickens in the first week. Apparently, the domestic dog is the number one predator for the chickens. ( unless trained otherwise?) I am living proof that good fences make good neighbors. Good luck!!! Message me if you need any help locally! I love my girls!!!!

I was in Southern States in manassas today and saw a sign for "chick days". Didn't have delivery dates on the sign though. I didn't ask either. If I get more chickens the wife would kill me.

We just moved to Ronaoke and we're looking to purchase some chickens/coop for the first time!
wee.gif

Looks like we can have 10 chickens(well I think actually 40, we have a HUGE fenced backyard. About the size of two lots) and no neighbors along our backyard. We want to start small with 6 hens and a rooster.

Where can we locally find some already laying hens? Any help would be great! I'm going crazy reading all the information on this site! We've been planning this for years, we're actually able to do it now!

We just moved to Ronaoke and we're looking to purchase some chickens/coop for the first time!
wee.gif

Looks like we can have 10 chickens(well I think actually 40, we have a HUGE fenced backyard. About the size of two lots) and no neighbors along our backyard. We want to start small with 6 hens and a rooster.

Where can we locally find some already laying hens? Any help would be great! I'm going crazy reading all the information on this site! We've been planning this for years, we're actually able to do it now!
WELCOME to BYC!!

FYI, I have 5 hens and a roo, and he's wearing out their back feathers. I've been told that 10 to 1 is a much better ratio - so of course, for the good of the chickens, I HAVE to get several more.
big_smile.png

wee.gif

well, i've got a trio of buff orpington girls and a younger trio of chicks of unknown sex... you'd think by going on 3 months old i'd be able to tell, but those rose combs baffle me.

once you've got a coop up, let me know if you're interested. i'm also hatching chicks all the time now, with 30+ in the 'bator now, and more going in soon.

How old does a chicken need to be before they start laying eggs?

Buying a coop in the next couple days, found one we love!

I live near Roanoke (come up all the time) and have a Lavender Orpington I might part with. She'll be laying any time now if she's not already. PM me if you're interested. Between myself and ki4got, we can fix you up with a whole flock of Orps. How big is your coop going to be? Don't pay any attention to that "3 sq foot per chicken" thing - especially if you have a roo. They need a lot more room to stay healthy and happy... unless they free range all day every day and are only in the coop to sleep.

Are you in the city limits? I don't think you can have roosters inside the city. Roanoke county has different rules. You just have to remember that roos will crow... well... anytime they like. And they can be pretty loud - LOL!

Welcome to BYC and to Roanoke!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom