Virginia

Cleaned the coop and put in extra shavings, did bring my banty in tonight as she was in a nesting box by herself. I think I will go out and put Vaseline on the larger combs...this is the coldest it has ever been since I have had chickens and I know they are farm animals but they are my babies! I keep telling myself chickens live in Alaska and do just fine! Thanks ki4got for the link tot he GRIT article, it made me feel better that I am doing everything right and I don't need to put the heat lamp out there tonight. Stay warm ya'll!

Hello! I'm new to chickens but my parents have had them for years. I just got some Seramas and have them in a quite large indoor coop. I'd love to meet some other people in the area to network! I live in Loudoun Co, VA!

Also... Anyone out there have Seramas? Two of my three ended up being Roos and I have already rehomed one. The other one is quite tiny and I'm hoping he doesn't develop a loud crow. Unfortunately if he does I will have to find him a home since my neighbors would not be too happy..... I'm okay at the moment but if it becomes a problem he'd be free to a good home or I'd love to trade for a hen. My current girl goes nuts when left alone.... He is super sweet and loves to cuddle on your shoulder.

Thanks!

Lindsey

Hello! I'm new to chickens but my parents have had them for years. I just got some Seramas and have them in a quite large indoor coop. I'd love to meet some other people in the area to network! I live in Loudoun Co, VA!

Also... Anyone out there have Seramas? Two of my three ended up being Roos and I have already rehomed one. The other one is quite tiny and I'm hoping he doesn't develop a loud crow. Unfortunately if he does I will have to find him a home since my neighbors would not be too happy..... I'm okay at the moment but if it becomes a problem he'd be free to a good home or I'd love to trade for a hen. My current girl goes nuts when left alone.... He is super sweet and loves to cuddle on your shoulder.

Thanks!

Lindsey
welcome-byc.gif

wee.gif

Happy to report all chickens doing just fine this morning! Usually I have a couple eggs waiting for me, not today...lol...girls are sticking to the roost, not wanting to move! But they are all fine, as well as my two doelings...I guess a goat's fur keeps them warm, even in temps like these!

HOT WATER FREEZES FASTER THAN COLD WATER! (Try it out in your ice cube trays) Good luck everyone and I hope there are no casualties reported in the a.m.[/quote]

Cknldy, funny you should mention that-- my husband thought I was totally insane when I told him that a few days ago! I had to look it up and show him a website to end the argument
1f60a.png

My chicks are also doing fine this morning. They are only 13 weeks, so I was kind of nervous (they've been out in their unheated coop since they were fully feathered at about 6 weeks... But of course, it has never been this cold.) I was relieved to see them up and goofing around as usual this morning.

HOT WATER FREEZES FASTER THAN COLD WATER! (Try it out in your ice cube trays) Good luck everyone and I hope there are no casualties reported in the a.m.

Cknldy, funny you should mention that-- my husband thought I was totally insane when I told him that a few days ago! I had to look it up and show him a website to end the argument
1f60a.png

My chicks are also doing fine this morning. They are only 13 weeks, so I was kind of nervous (they've been out in their unheated coop since they were fully feathered at about 6 weeks... But of course, it has never been this cold.) I was relieved to see them up and goofing around as usual this morning.[/QUOTE]

LOL my hubby would have said "Where'd you hear that? On the internet?"...because of the commercial where the lady is dating a "French Model" LOL

All my girls and boy are doing fine in Dahlgren. I almost went out to put a heat lamp on them last night. I checked on BYC and everything was "no heat" for my older flock. So I guess I'm glad I didn't do it. I want my stock to be hardy. Their waterer is heated, but not the coop. Time will tell if I made a good choice or not, but so far it's looking like I did.

6° - 7am... double brr! Chik-huns are good. 'K- I'm done w/ the cold let it warm back up!

Brought home 4 trash bags of kale, collards and brussels sprouts for the girls yesterday... they love that stuff when it's frozen - makes it easy for them to break off pieces.

Last edited:
I'm in Windsor and it was 10 this morning. Up to 14 now but the wind is up too! All the girls came out and ate their warm oatmeal this morning. Thank goodness for my new heated dog waterbowl my son gave me for Christmas. So far so good! Try to stay warm folks!

Picture me slinking around a corner....all chickens were fine this morning except one. The lone silkie hatchling that is now 6 weeks old and no bigger than your hand. I had put him in with 3 mille fleur bearded duccles that are 12 weeks old- all put into the newly finished cage/coop in the feed shed so that they are more protected. Dang nut (and I say this in a sweet nice way because he ended up being a $40 bird when no one else hatched) is the stupidest (if that's a word) chicken I have ever owned! He has no sense of balance and I had to curl his toes around the roost a few nights ago before he stayed put. This morning he was making the most awful noise and the millies were looking like they didn't know what was going on with him. His feet were frozen solid!!! Carefully brought the squirt in the house and slowly warmed his feet with body heat and a cloth. He is so loving and as much as dh may not like it Con may be in the house until it warms up. I know his feet must be throbbing and feeling funny, he isn't back up on them yet. I hope there's no permanent damage- no ice was on them or anything. He just seems to have no chicken sense!

Back
Top Bottom