Virginia

I just wanted to say hello. I am in SW Virginia near Lexington. I will be getting some golden lacewing wyandotte chicks from my mom in the next few weeks once our coop is finished and a predator proof run is up. I have been reading the forums and all the articles I can find about raising chickens and am looking forward to getting started.

Hello there - Welcome to the VA thread and
welcome-byc.gif

Hi all, and welcome to all the newcomers! I have a question about the risk of coccidiosis in chicks--- looking for some advice.

I ordered my first batch of chicks almost two years ago from a hatchery, and had them vaccinated for mareks and cocci. That worked great. Aside from predator losses while free ranging, they were a very healthy bunch.

I recently purchased some other chicks, from a couple of different sources. While I had them vaccinated for mareks, they have NOT been vaccinated for coccidiosis, and their feed is organic (non-medicated). One batch of chicks is 6 weeks old-- I put them out in our coop last week (separated from the adult chickens) they are doing great so far. (Aside from their inexplicable refusal to perch, but I am sure they'll work that out). My second batch is 2 weeks, they are still in our brooder, also doing well.

So, my question (that perhaps I should have considered earlier): are my unvaccinated, unmedicated chicks at a huge risk for coccidiosis? We have sand in our coop and run, and it is clean and uncrowded. However, with all the rain we are having and the humidity... Suddenly I am worried that I have been kind of an idiot for not having them on medicated feed. Has any one else gone the non-medicated, organic route without issues? Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi all, and welcome to all the newcomers! I have a question about the risk of coccidiosis in chicks--- looking for some advice.

I ordered my first batch of chicks almost two years ago from a hatchery, and had them vaccinated for mareks and cocci. That worked great. Aside from predator losses while free ranging, they were a very healthy bunch.

I recently purchased some other chicks, from a couple of different sources. While I had them vaccinated for mareks, they have NOT been vaccinated for coccidiosis, and their feed is organic (non-medicated). One batch of chicks is 6 weeks old-- I put them out in our coop last week (separated from the adult chickens) they are doing great so far. (Aside from their inexplicable refusal to perch, but I am sure they'll work that out). My second batch is 2 weeks, they are still in our brooder, also doing well.

So, my question (that perhaps I should have considered earlier): are my unvaccinated, unmedicated chicks at a huge risk for coccidiosis? We have sand in our coop and run, and it is clean and uncrowded. However, with all the rain we are having and the humidity... Suddenly I am worried that I have been kind of an idiot for not having them on medicated feed. Has any one else gone the non-medicated, organic route without issues? Any thoughts appreciated.

I honestly wouldn't worry, imo chickens are pretty hardy.

Hello everyone, Portsmouth, VA here :) I currently have 2 barred rocks and a buff orpington, and will hopefully be able to get another three hens before hatching season is over this year. Working on building a larger coop and run atm - any other DIYers out there?

Hello everyone, Portsmouth, VA here :)  I currently have 2 barred rocks and a buff orpington, and will hopefully be able to get another three hens before hatching season is over this year.  Working on building a larger coop and run atm - any other DIYers out there?

Me and my husband built our own large coop, its pretty decent, we also built a big long nesting box. We had to make it pretty big, we wanted it big enough to at least house near a hundred chickens.

We live right over the border of va right into NC.

Last edited:
A hundred chickens...*sigh* I'd love to have a larger flock, but am limited to 6 in the city. I've decided if I win the lotto, I'm buying acreage and having a farm. I wanna raise alpacas, chickens (eggs and meat), a few goats, maybe a pig a year, and a horse or two, along with growing/raising most of my own food. It's a dream...but something to shoot for.

A hundred chickens...*sigh*  I'd love to have a larger flock, but am limited to 6 in the city.  I've decided if I win the lotto, I'm buying acreage and having a farm.  I wanna raise alpacas, chickens (eggs and meat), a few goats, maybe a pig a year, and a horse or two, along with growing/raising most of my own food.  It's a dream...but something to shoot for.

I started out with 6 myself, but it grew to well over 40 now.

I understand what you're saying, I couldn't imagine being limited. I wish cities were more understanding... We live in the country so you can have as many as you want here.

With enough faith you can do anything, I'm sure you will someday get the dream farm you've always wanted. :)

You're in luck though, buffs are a great egg laying breed so I heard. Barred rocks are cuties too.

Thanks! I wanna get some sex links next, I think, but having trouble finding them locally. I can get more buffs and rocks no problem, luckily. I didn't realize I needed a permit for my city, however, so the hubby has put his foot down and I have to get my permit before I can get any more birds. I know it's for the best, but there are 3 RIR/NH red crosses available locally right now that I'm kind of drooling over, and they're the same age as my girls.

Back
Top Bottom