Virginia

Hi ladies and gents I just became a new duck owner today. If any of you own or breed ducks I would greatly appreciate any advice on them. I already have a heat lamp with a 125w bulb and a big enough space for them for now. I'm also using pine bedding for them as well as medicated chick starter. I'm also putting niacin in their water at a ratio of 100mg per gallon to make sure they have enough. I'm sure there is still plenty I don't know. Again thanks in advance

Is there any of you in tf he winchester area of virginia. I'd like to talk to someone who owns ducks as that's what I've got rather then chickens. I'm a new duck owner and it seemed to be a bit overwhelming at first as I lost my first 2 ducklings...I have gotten 2 more since then and they seem to be doing great. I made a reply earlier stating I had pine shavings as bedding and I am feeding them chick starter for now as well as supplementing niacin at the ratio of 100mg per gallon. I'm sure there is much to learn and I'd gladly appreciate the knowledge. Also they are 3 to 4 weeks old how long should I keep them inside and when should I build my duck coop for them. I'd also like some relatively cheap ideas. Any information would be useful and greatly appreciated
Thank you ALL so much in advance

Sorry ti hear about the loss of your first 2 ducklings. My husband and I are in Locust Grove Virginia we raise Welsh Harlequin, Runners, Muscovy and East Indies. Pine shavings or straw is fine for bedding. I only use red heat lamp bulbs with the reflectors Walmart has them cheaper than Tractor Supply. They look like a large red flood lamp bulb. Standard light bulbs just don't give off enough heat. When ducklings are super young I have the heat lamp 2-2.5 feet above them...... with plenty of room for them to get away from the heat if they need to. They must have a water dish deep enough that they can insert their entire bill ( not only to drink water but to clean out their nostrils ). I gave my Muscovy ducklings a higher protein but start the others out on chick starter. We have geese peacocks and chickens as well but the ducks are definitely the messiest. But that's only because we give them a big water source to swim and bathe in. BUT.... they are just so much happier having their little pools. Plastic kiddie pools are great and also large rectangular cement mixing containers from Home Depot work well. But this of course is for adolescents and adults. For little babies I do use rectangular Tupperware containers but it's not really honest a necessity. As long as your babies have a reliable heat source and an area to cool down then there is no reason they can't be outside now in a secured predator safe enclosure. A "house" within their enclosure doesn't have to be elaborate.... the largest Rubbermaid tote they make is about 3 feet long for $20 at Walmart. Just take the lid off turn it upside down and use a utility knife to cut out a large square opening. Throw some straw in there and viola, you're done. If you have any questions about treats housing or food just send me a message.

Question since it sounds you have experience with the freedom rangers. We just for the first time slaughtered about 20 chickens. They were different breed roosters we no longer wanted but we're all egg laying breeds including some orps. Long story short no one will eat them? Everyone says they are too gamy. So I want to get some broilers. How gamy are the freedom rangers compared to egg laying chickens versus Cornish?

Out of all of them, I'd say the roosters can taste about the same as freedom rangers in certain dishes. If you want to do fried chicken or chicken salad, them a rooster will be tough and gamey and a freedom ranger will do much better. If you want to do a soup, you can barely tell the difference if the soup is properly flavored. Overall the Freedom Rangers are much more tender and yummy, but it depends on what dish you are making.

Hey guys I have a lavender and blue ameracauna I need to get rid of to start thinning the flock for spring breeding pens. Anyone interested? I'm in northern VA

How old are they, and do you only have the two?

I have been asked many times, Am I participating in Chicken Swaps this year? I will participate in several Chicken swaps at TSC a couple of times each month for 4 out of 12 months this year. I do not plan to attend GlenManor because I am not a die hard in the Chicken business. I am strickly hobby only and I am downsizing greatly! If your interested in English Orpingtons & Ameraucana and English Orpington & Ameraucana cross Easter Eggers. Let me know pm as a I am always interested in these.

Do you sell Blue Ameraucanas?

I am selling 8 day old chicks, straight run, located near Hillsville, VA.

Is there anyone in the Frederick County area that I could meet with to sex my ducklings? I read about how to do it but I don't want to hurt them so I don't feel safe doing it myself. If there's anyone who be willing to do that you'd be awesome for it. Haha

Is there anyone in the Frederick County area that I could meet with to sex my ducklings? I read about how to do it but I don't want to hurt them so I don't feel safe doing it myself. If there's anyone who be willing to do that you'd be awesome for it. Haha
I happen to be in Frederick County, but can't sex a duck at all. Just wanted to reply so that you know your post is being read! Good luck to you~

Hello,

Just seeing if there are any 'exhibition quality' duck breeders in this thread. Looking for Campbells, ideally 'Dark Campbells,' possibly open to other breeds.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom