Virulent Newcastle's Disease in Los Angeles County CA

Can you tell me your process for the clorox foot bath--ratio of bleach to water and how you wash your shoes? I've thought about locking everyone up too. My pen is chain link so I have a lot of prepping to do first to keep all the wild birds out.
Here are specific instructions on what to do:
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/pdfs/AI/BiosecurityForBackyardAndPetBirds.pdf
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/735976O/disinfection-with-bleach-tech-talk.pdf

I think sparrows, doves, etc aren't as likely to carry the disease as wild waterfowl (ducks, geese). It's nearly impossible to keep sparrows out!

You can switch to one of the other disinfectants listed in the first link if you don't want the chlorox to bleach out fabric shoes or pant legs. They are more expensive, though. I use a plastic cat litter pan (Target, $3.99) with a rectangle of astroturf in the bottom. I fill the pan just to the point where the solution will cover the top of the astroturf, add a good "glug" of chlorox bleach, and swish to mix. Use a brush to remove any caked on matter on the shoe soles, then step into the solution, scrub your feet on the astroturf, and step out. Also keep a spray bottle of chlorox solution to spray equipment (rakes, shovels, etc) that is used in the coop, and a large bottle of hand sanitizer to clean hands before and after entering coop. All litter and manure goes directly into a green waste bin that is collected for composting. All food and water dishes are washed with hot soapy water and get rinsed with chlorox solution, then rinsed with water. If a lot of organic matter ends up in the footbath, change the solution daily.

Here are specific instructions on what to do:
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/pdfs/AI/BiosecurityForBackyardAndPetBirds.pdf
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/735976O/disinfection-with-bleach-tech-talk.pdf

I think sparrows, doves, etc aren't as likely to carry the disease as wild waterfowl (ducks, geese). It's nearly impossible to keep sparrows out!

You can switch to one of the other disinfectants listed in the first link if you don't want the chlorox to bleach out fabric shoes or pant legs. They are more expensive, though. I use a plastic cat litter pan (Target, $3.99) with a rectangle of astroturf in the bottom. I fill the pan just to the point where the solution will cover the top of the astroturf, add a good "glug" of chlorox bleach, and swish to mix. Use a brush to remove any caked on matter on the shoe soles, then step into the solution, scrub your feet on the astroturf, and step out. Also keep a spray bottle of chlorox solution to spray equipment (rakes, shovels, etc) that is used in the coop, and a large bottle of hand sanitizer to clean hands before and after entering coop. All litter and manure goes directly into a green waste bin that is collected for composting. All food and water dishes are washed with hot soapy water and get rinsed with chlorox solution, then rinsed with water. If a lot of organic matter ends up in the footbath, change the solution daily.
Thank you so much! This helps a lot. What ratio of bleach to water do you use? There were a few options in the bleach flyer. I am going to put the solution in my hand sprayer and spray my whole yard down. Then make the footpath and make a spray bottle of the solution as well. I really appreciate your help!

Thank you so much! This helps a lot. What ratio of bleach to water do you use? There were a few options in the bleach flyer. I am going to put the solution in my hand sprayer and spray my whole yard down. Then make the footpath and make a spray bottle of the solution as well. I really appreciate your help!
I use approximately 1/2 cup of bleach per gallon of water. I'm going to a veterinary supply store now to buy another disinfectant that is safe to spray on clothing that won't bleach it out, but the bleach is good for footbaths since it's cheap and can be changed frequently without breaking the bank!

I have a questions about this:

What is a “backyard exhibition chicken?” That’s what APHIS states they are finding Newcastle’s in in San Bernardino.

Are hatchery chickens like you get at the feed store typically vaccinated for Newcastle’s? I seem to recall the feed store said my chicks were vaccinated for Mareks.

Last edited:
I have a questions about this:

What is a “backyard exhibition chicken?” That’s what APHIS states they are finding Newcastle’s in San Bernardino.

Are hatchery chickens like you get at the feed store typically vaccinated for Newcastle’s? I seem to recall the feed store said my chicks were vaccinated for Mareks.
Regular old backyard chicken people like most of us.

Unless the feed store specifically states that the chicks were vaccinated then you can bet they were not.

I actually emailed APHIS and asked if they could be more specific with regard to where the VND-positive birds were found - I asked if they could at least tell me the ZIP code or city. They replied that "to protect the privacy of the owners" they could not, but they did say all the cases were in "Southwestern San Bernardino County". So I am assuming Chino, Chino Hills, Montclair, Pomona (although technically Pomona is LA Co) should be very worried. My feed store in Pomona where I buy my horse feed has already been visited by CDFA - they dropped off papers with VND info for customers but did not destroy the baby chicks that were for sale there. So that's a good thing I guess.
Hi there! I believe the case found for San Bernardino county was in Muscoy

YEP!!! Areas are under quarantine and being notified that inspectors will be coming to test their birds for disease...so important to practice biosecurity now!
So, are they going door to door? How will they know who has chickens or birds? And what procedures will they use to stop cross contamination as they go?

Back
Top Bottom