WANTED - Black Sumatra Breeding Stock

Then I Will

Songster
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Annville, Pennsylvania
I'm interested in either a Rooster or breeding pair of black Sumatras. Will possibly take 2 roosters if no breeding hen is available. (I don't incubate, so I can't take eggs. Would prefer a mature bird that I can see the breeding potential in over juvenile fowl/chicks.)

Desiring birds with multiple spurs and other SOP genes/traits for this breed. I am really looking for the finest black Sumatras to breed from. Hens with spurs, hens with multiple spurs.

I am interested in breeding for the purity and preservation of this lovely breed. I am located in Southeastern Pennsylvania and don't plan to drive too far to pick up the birds, however, if you are anywhere between Pennsylvania and Jeffersonville, IN, Eastern Kentucky, or Mobile, AL I take a yearly road-trips to all three places in which I would be able to pick up the birds if your location is along the route or near the destination city.

Please PM me if you are willing to let go of one or more of your Sumatras within the next year. I treat them like family and am hunting for the best to breed from. Would be happy to keep in touch with any Sumatra breeder for the future.
Thanks in advance,

Laurisa

Just curious if you had any luck with the Sumatra’s? I have several, they are really neat chickens. I have not had any chicks yet but I do have an invubator. I’m interested in breeding them as well, I have a few nice green males & several hens. Have any pics of yours?

Hi BiggJohnn,

Sorry I was away from BYC over the holidays and I never got an email with your comment.
I am still looking for a good breeding pair or Stag. All of my Sumatra roos are single spur and that is a big issue for me. Also, none of my hens have spurs, so between single spur males and no spur females, I feel I don't have a genetic lottery yet.

Here is a pic of the One rooster I am keeping until I can find better. He has larger, redder wattles and earlobes than desired, and single spurs, but his confirmation and tail carriage is best of the other boys, he has dark eyes-- and huge plus-- no brown feathers!
IMG_4928.JPG

Overall, I'm pleased with the Green sheen on all of my birds, their temperament (big plus) and the dark faces and eyes on 80% of my hens. None of the hens have any spurs so if someone can sell me a breeding pair, I'll be over the moon!

Attachments

• IMG_4918.JPG
    IMG_4918.JPG
    451 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4931.JPG
    IMG_4931.JPG
    600.1 KB · Views: 15
Hi BiggJohnn,

Sorry I was away from BYC over the holidays and I never got an email with your comment.
I am still looking for a good breeding pair or Stag. All of my Sumatra roos are single spur and that is a big issue for me. Also, none of my hens have spurs, so between single spur males and no spur females, I feel I don't have a genetic lottery yet.

Here is a pic of the One rooster I am keeping until I can find better. He has larger, redder wattles and earlobes than desired, and single spurs, but his confirmation and tail carriage is best of the other boys, he has dark eyes-- and huge plus-- no brown feathers!View attachment 1237119
Overall, I'm pleased with the Green sheen on all of my birds, their temperament (big plus) and the dark faces and eyes on 80% of my hens. None of the hens have any spurs so if someone can sell me a breeding pair, I'll be over the moon!
Hi, so sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I was curious cause my Sumatra’s started laying & I also want to clean them up if I can. My guys are a lil red on there waddles & my females feet are not 100% yellow. These are a few things I’d like to work on. Here’s a few pics of my guy. Where did you get yours if you don’t mind me asking?

Attachments

• 7846E1CD-7B88-4D40-B2EA-40903A87D71B.jpeg
    7846E1CD-7B88-4D40-B2EA-40903A87D71B.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 3A06C052-824C-43E2-B28C-725E28388230.jpeg
    3A06C052-824C-43E2-B28C-725E28388230.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 10
  • C4ADFAB1-2E70-4A01-9C00-B50B50E42794.jpeg
    C4ADFAB1-2E70-4A01-9C00-B50B50E42794.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 10
Hi, so sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I was curious cause my Sumatra’s started laying & I also want to clean them up if I can. My guys are a lil red on there waddles & my females feet are not 100% yellow. These are a few things I’d like to work on. Here’s a few pics of my guy. Where did you get yours if you don’t mind me asking?

Hey! I got a few from McMurray- had 80% of them die after a long and strenuous mailing so I ordered new ones from Meyer Hatchery. In the end I had 2 roos and 2 hens survive the McMurray mailing and a majority of Meyer birds survive. While I've heard people complain about Meyer's bird quality - my best roo (one pictured above) so far came from there.

Back
Top Bottom