Wanted: Exotic Ducklings!

Sparkypatriot15

Songster
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
Hello all! I have recently decided to begin a small flock of exotic ducks. I have done research, and my favorite breeds include Mandarin, Merganser, American wood, Ring Teal, or Cayuga. I do have experience raising ducks- I have had 4 ducks in the past- two pekins, a mallard, and a French Rouen. I have a large coop/aviary that I used for my old flock of chickens, duck, and quail. It is about 14-18 feet long, 5-6 feet wide, and 5-6 feet high. It's has a covered area of about 6x5x6 surrounded by brick, with a cement floor, and a large swinging Wooden gate. Inside the covered area we put hay or leaf bedding, a nesting box, a smaller wire coop, feeders, and waterers. In the uncovered part of the enclosure is a tree, bushes, and a small duck pond. I want to have a close bond with these ducks like I had with my last flock, and I want to breed them. If anyone has ducks or ducklings of these breeds, please reply or contact me! Thank you! Facts or tips on the breeds and which one to choose is also appreciated!

Have you checked out http://www.mallardlanefarms.com yet? If not I would recommend that you do since it does have great information, pictures, and it says how difficult each species is to raise.

I first of all would like to ask some questions.
-How deep is the pond, and if you can post pictures of it as well as the cage?
-How many ducks do intend to keep?
-What is the size of the wire mesh/fencing? (Basically want to know to make sure the ducks cannot get out)
-What is the pen covered with? (If flight netting what size holes, 1" or 2"?)

You did choose some very nice ducks, but they are not all for the beginner. Also, are you aware that Cayuga Ducks are a domesticated species? I personally do not keep the ornamentals with the domestic ducks. I will just disregard the Cayugas in the next part. Of the ducks listed the Mergansers and Wood Ducks will need a permit. Mandarins and Ringed Teal do not require a permit. I did ask some size specific questions above because Ringed Teal are small ducks, and their ducklings are obviously a lot smaller! You did note that there is a nesting box. You will need more than one nesting box and they will need to be raised wood duck style boxes. The Mergansers are harder to raise, and are diving ducks, therefore they need a good pond with fresh running water preferably (not required). It is nice that you want to create a bond with them, but these are wild ducks, and they are not like a typical friendly domestic duck. People have imprinted ducks like these before, and there are people who have very friendly ornamental ducks but they do spend lots of time with them from the time they are born. Most people do sell these types of ducks as ducklings, but sometimes you can find hatching eggs for sale. If you looked around, you could probably find a local person with those species, but you would have to wait for next year if you want ducklings. Most people sell their ducks in the fall once they can sexed and identified. I hope this helps.

Have you checked out http://www.mallardlanefarms.com yet?  If not I would recommend that you do since it does have great information, pictures, and it says how difficult each species is to raise.  

I first of all would like to ask some questions.  
-How deep is the pond, and if you can post pictures of it as well as the cage?
-How many ducks do intend to keep?
-What is the size of the wire mesh/fencing?  (Basically want to know to make sure the ducks cannot get out)
-What is the pen covered with? (If flight netting what size holes, 1" or 2"?)

You did choose some very nice ducks, but they are not all for the beginner.  Also, are you aware that Cayuga Ducks are a domesticated species?  I personally do not keep the ornamentals with the domestic ducks.  I will just disregard the Cayugas in the next part.  Of the ducks listed the Mergansers and Wood Ducks will need a permit.  Mandarins and Ringed Teal do not require a permit.  I did ask some size specific questions above because Ringed Teal are small ducks, and their ducklings are obviously a lot smaller!  You did note that there is a nesting box.  You will need more than one nesting box and they will need to be raised wood duck style boxes.  The Mergansers are harder to raise, and are diving ducks, therefore they need a good pond with fresh running water preferably (not required).  It is nice that you want to create a bond with them, but these are wild ducks, and they are not like a typical friendly domestic duck.  People have imprinted ducks like these before, and there are people who have very friendly ornamental ducks but they do spend lots of time with them from the time they are born.  Most people do sell these types of ducks as ducklings, but sometimes you can find hatching eggs for sale.  If you looked around, you could probably find a local person with those species, but you would have to wait for next year if you want ducklings.  Most people sell their ducks in the fall once they can sexed and identified.  I hope this helps.

Yes I contacted mallardlanfarms and I don't believe they had what I was looking for. They only sell adult birds and I'm looking more for ducklings.
Answers to the questions:
1) the pond is rather small and shallow, big enough for the birds to swim and spalsh around an deep enough to dabble. If it is too small I most likely will be able to find a larger one
2) I only intend to keep 2 ducks
3) the fencing is chicken wire layered on hogwire- same for the roof of the outdoor part. Nothing big enough for an adult duck to escape from

Yes I know these are not beginner birds and I am not a beginner poultry/waterfowl keeper. And yes I do know cayugas are domestic ducks more like pekins than mandarins- I only mentioned them too because I was interested in possibly getting a pair of cayugas instead if I couldn't find an appropriate ornamental duck. I was also considering call ducks.
I know that I may need to build nesting boxes higher up on the tree or wall to accommodate wood ducks or mandarins.
Since posting this I have ruled out mergansers as I don't have the right type of pond
As for permits, I am completely willing to get a permit to own some of these ducks if needed.
I know that it is hard to form bonds with these more wild-natured ducks and I have lots of time, effort, and patience to do so and I understand not to be disappointed if I am not totally successful. I will post some pictures of the coop/aviary soon.
Thank you so much!

I will be waiting for the pictures. That is wise to rule out Mergansers. When I was just beginning we had ordered a pair but had to cancel due to an improper setup. Now I will be getting a drake to complete a breeding pair. Just how you said Mallard Lane Farms sells few month old birds, that is what most people do. If you want ducklings try finding someone local. Didn't you want the ducks to raise their own ducklings? I just am thnking that teal ducklings are really small. Also, I have read online before that Ringed Teal have on occasion escaped through 2" flight netting. Mandarin and wood ducklings can escape through chicken wire. I was mainly just asking about the pond because of the Mergansers, but it sounds fine for the other birds you like. Regarding nest boxes, my pair of Ringed Teal also used wood duck style boxes as well. I find Ringed Teal to be a generally friendly duck, Mandarins are not as friendly as Ringed Teal, but they are friendlier than Wood Ducks based on my own ducks.

Yea like Blue Creek said. Nobody hardly ever sales babies on the wild types.Then even if you did get them it would have to be of course in the spring and then local pickup only. Adult birds can get pretty friendly too just so you know. Plus if you get them this fall most will have a bunch of babies for you anyway this coming spring. Not to mention raising the babies of these is also a little harder than domestics.Just trying to save you alot of headache and heartache is all here. How old would you want the ducklings to be just out of curiousity?

Back
Top Bottom