Wants to eat potting soil?

Ponyfeather

Songster
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
California
Okay, I have an issue my two girls think the potting soil is the next fad food and are rushing to the pots to eat it. At first I thought it was just them wanting to play in the 'new dirt' and investigate the new plants we have planted but my mom has caught them simply eating the dirt out of the pots ignoring the plants 100%. It isn't them going after the plants it is the soil, they have grit and oyster shell and free range on a 1/4 of an acre what is in the potting soil that makes them wanna eat it? They get daily treats within reason and a high-quality organic food that they like!

Any answers would be great... or are they just being silly?

I put a box of dirt in with my chicks . I was surprised how quickly they ate it. My idea was a dirt bath... as they have grown they have continued to eat dirt!

Does it have pearlite or vermiculite in it? Is it amended with fertilizer? These reasons alone are enough for me to keep the birds out of the potting soil. I do what I can to keep them out of it. Including putting the pots out of their usual range area, putting wire rings around the pots. putting big rocks in the pots. If allowed access, my birds will pick the pearlite out of potting soil until their crops are distended and feel like bean bag chairs. Thankfully, the stuff passes, but IMO, it can't be good!

Okay, I have an issue my two girls think the potting soil is the next fad food and are rushing to the pots to eat it. At first I thought it was just them wanting to play in the 'new dirt' and investigate the new plants we have planted but my mom has caught them simply eating the dirt out of the pots ignoring the plants 100%. It isn't them going after the plants it is the soil, they have grit and oyster shell and free range on a 1/4 of an acre what is in the potting soil that makes them wanna eat it? They get daily treats within reason and a high-quality organic food that they like!

Any answers would be great... or are they just being silly?

Some times they just like to eat soil. If it doesn't contain fertilisers I say leave them to it. If you would prefer some soil left for your plants ( :)) you could put stones, gravel or wood chips on the top of the soil to deter the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom