Warning! Chickens died in pvc feeder!

So sorry this happened! I completely understand your shock - I'd be stunned too. So devastating.

If possible, could you post a picture of your feeder? I have a PVC feeder in my coop that works so much better than the 5 gallon bucket feeder, so I had planned to do all PVC feeders in my next coop. Maybe I need to do some more research first!

Thank you for sharing your experience and warning other folks!!

My feeder is the standard 4 inch pipe with a y at the bottom and than a little 1 inch extra piece of pipe to make it a little longer so food wouldn't get thrown out. It sits directly on the floor so they can reach it but it was still pretty high so I had a feed dish upside in front as a step so they wouldn't have to stretch. My chicks are almost 7 weeks old. I did not think they would fit in there either but of course it didn't cross my mind that they would even try. I'm sure when they are full grown they couldn't fit but I know plenty of people who use these with all different size chickens and even 3 inch pipes or smaller for tiny chicks! Obviously it can happen...who would have thought.

I am so sorry! We lost one of our chicks last night... so sad! Our chicks will be one week tomorrow. Thanks for posting about the danger with the PVC tube- I never would have imagined that!! I will be doing something other than that when mine finally get to the coop. So sorry!

Here is the feeder, this picture was taken before we added the extra 1 inch piece to prevent them from throwing the food out. It was working great for 2-3 weeks and even allowed us to go away for a week without the house sitter needing to refill it.

I will post another angle picture of the feeder when I head out there in a little while, we are building the permanent run today...

Back
Top Bottom