***WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURE*** Neural Crest defect.

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
So I've seen neural crest defects in two day old embryos and always assumed that they would die before fully developing... well.. it is not the case apparently. If you look closely at the picture you can see that there is the chicks brain on the outside of the skull and a ridge in the top beak. The reason for the clef beak and exposed skull is because some sort of developmental cytokine didn't initiate the closure of the neural crest so it remained open. Normally they die but guess this guy made it to the very end, just couldn't pip due to the pressure on the head when pressing up to get out.

Hope you heeded the title if you don't like this kind of stuff. It's a birth defect.

wow%20brain%20Small%20600.jpg

Yep. Just want to make sure that everyone knows that this is a birth defect, not caused by silkiechicken or myself. Poor chick. It fought so hard...
sad.png

The chick was alive out of the egg, but expired shortly thereafter.

i wonder if this became a common problem from the parents of this little guy whether supplemental folic acid would help. Its what we use for pregnant woman to decrease the risk of neural tube defects.

Yeah, I am not sure what caused it really but I remember a while back reading a research paper about common defects. Aparently exposed brain due to neural crest failure to close was one of the more common ones. Wonder if folic acid would fix it at all, since the neural crest and neural tube are relatively similar. Interesting that the tube must have closed since the crest didn't.

Silkiechicken, what breed was this?
Was it a crested breed or just a one in a million thing that just happens?

I am sorry this little one lost the fight.
sad.png

That came out of an egg labeled EE/Phoenix. So it wasn't a crested type. I would be less surprised if it was one of the vaulted skull silkies since they often have a hole in their skulls. This one was just weird.

Back
Top Bottom