Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I wonder how long it will take to get to 80,000 this time.
gig.gif

Well, that's cool. I wondered about how the byc software was handling that mega-giant-wowza thread; the Proboards community I'm part of caps threads at 30 pages, and the blogging platforms I'm familiar with close down at 5000 comments.

I spent a whole lot of time and effort yesterday rejiggering the sheep pen roof support, and it came down overnight and has what looks like twenty gallons of water in it, so I know what I'm doing today...

Well, that's cool. I wondered about how the byc software was handling that mega-giant-wowza thread; the Proboards community I'm part of caps threads at 30 pages, and the blogging platforms I'm familiar with close down at 5000 comments.

I spent a whole lot of time and effort yesterday rejiggering the sheep pen roof support, and it came down overnight and has what looks like twenty gallons of water in it, so I know what I'm doing today...

Oh no! Not fun to fix things in the rain, either. Stay warm and dry (or at least try to).

Does anyone use sand on the floor of a *small* coop, with a pull out drawer for a floor? Would that work instead of pine shavings? Or does it only work in a run?

This isn't my coop, but the drawer is something like the one on this coop:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-129986258723660/2921-29112.jpg

it's shallow. pine shavings work OK, but they swell up and then I can't pull the drawer out without dumping the shavings out in the run. It Wasn't too hard to clean up this summer when it was dry, but it may be more difficult when it's wet. can I put sand in there instead and just scoop it?

CR... you mentioned on the other thread to make sure the netting was visible. How do you do that? And, is fishing net less expensive than the Aviary netting I have been looking at? That stuff is pretty spendy stuff.

Does anyone use sand on the floor of a *small* coop, with a pull out drawer for a floor? Would that work instead of pine shavings? Or does it only work in a run?

This isn't my coop, but the drawer is something like the one on this coop:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-129986258723660/2921-29112.jpg

it's shallow. pine shavings work OK, but they swell up and then I can't pull the drawer out without dumping the shavings out in the run. It Wasn't too hard to clean up this summer when it was dry, but it may be more difficult when it's wet. can I put sand in there instead and just scoop it?

I don't use sand on the floor, but I do use sand in a dust bath bin. When it is dry I mix DE into that bin in hopes the birds will get DE mixed into their feathers. My chickens don't use it to dust bathe, they'd rather tear up the floor of the run, but they do love to sleep in it, as long as it is not wet.

If the sand gets wet, it clumps, and gets heavy. If you put it in a drawer, I'd make sure the drawer is very sturdy.

Great question Kim!

I'm pretty strict on NOT deleting information from websites, so you can rest assured that the entire thread will remain intact, just closed / locked from new replies. You'll be able to reference, search, and read it any time!

(I'll update the first post here to make that clear)

Just a suggestion for future cases like this. I think it would be easier for Users if old posts could simply be archived or moved, keeping maybe the most recent 6 months as-is. IMHO

Alright. I'm out-a here. I'm off to get my allergy shot, head to Lowes and to a tackle shop. I tell ya - I shop in the strangest places now that I have chickens.

frow.gif
Have a good day. I hope everyone finds this thread.

Back
Top Bottom