Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Only problem is that this new thread isn't showing up on my BYC home page, under 'recent activity'. That's how I follow threads. I have to go to the old thread to find the link to the new thread.

It's not showing up in mine, either. I messed around trying to figure it out. Not gonna mess with it any more. Hopefully they'll get it fixed or someone will let me know what I need to do on my end to get it fixed.

Does anyone use sand on the floor of a *small* coop, with a pull out drawer for a floor? Would that work instead of pine shavings? Or does it only work in a run?

This isn't my coop, but the drawer is something like the one on this coop:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-129986258723660/2921-29112.jpg

it's shallow. pine shavings work OK, but they swell up and then I can't pull the drawer out without dumping the shavings out in the run. It Wasn't too hard to clean up this summer when it was dry, but it may be more difficult when it's wet. can I put sand in there instead and just scoop it?

I love having sand in my small coop. I don't have a drawer because when I open the door I have complete access to floor.
This is a snap shot from when we were building it.....

It takes just a minute to scoop the poop and be done with it. I dump the poop in an old trash can that has drain holes cut into the bottom. I add dead leaves & such and now I have some really great compost.

Last edited:
CR... you mentioned on the other thread to make sure the netting was visible. How do you do that? And, is fishing net less expensive than the Aviary netting I have been looking at? That stuff is pretty spendy stuff.

There's a guy on CraigsList in Seattle Interbay that sells used commercial fishing nets. You might want to check him out.

Great question Kim!

I'm pretty strict on NOT deleting information from websites, so you can rest assured that the entire thread will remain intact, just closed / locked from new replies.  You'll be able to reference, search, and read it any time!

(I'll update the first post here to make that clear)

Just a suggestion for future cases like this.  I think it would be easier for Users if old posts could simply be archived or moved, keeping maybe the most recent 6 months as-is.  IMHO

I agree that might have been better, but this is fine also--

Only problem is that this new thread isn't showing up on my BYC home page, under 'recent activity'.   That's how I follow threads.   I have to go to the old thread to find the link to the new thread.   

You can subscribe to this thread at the bottom of the page. :)

Hi guys !
Sorry I am late but been sick...darn it.
But I am here now !!

frow.gif

Quote: I agree that might have been better, but this is fine also--

Only problem is that this new thread isn't showing up on my BYC home page, under 'recent activity'. That's how I follow threads. I have to go to the old thread to find the link to the new thread.
You can subscribe to this thread at the bottom of the page. :)
I was subscribed, but it still wasn't showing up. But it is now...so....who knows ;)

Last edited:
Alright. I'm out-a here. I'm off to get my allergy shot, head to Lowes and to a tackle shop. I tell ya - I shop in the strangest places now that I have chickens.

frow.gif
Have a good day. I hope everyone finds this thread.

You also start saying strange things when you have chickens. For instance, "STOP EATING PAINT!!"

See, we have a large work shed that really needs to be re-painted. The paint is chipping off at the bottom and so when I hear a wood thumping sound, I go charging down there and find that someone is eating little spots of paint. I call the worst offender 'Paint Chip' (real name is Mary). I chase them away quickly and they pretend to lose interest. They just try a bit later. It doesn't happen very often, though, and it's not happening these days because I have to watch everyone when they're out.

Please don't misunderstand, I take good care of my girls. They just don't take good care of themselves!
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom