Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

And TC: where is himself going off to hunt ?
Labor Day weekend he's going to Yuma AZ for a week fo dove, then at the end of Sept. he's going to Montanna (or maybe Wyoming, getting old, can't remember) for about 10 days, thinks its for grouse, and antelope, not sure about that either.

It's going to be very quiet here!

Oh, and tell your friend the ducklings are simply gorgeous, Only 2 chocolates, the rest are lovely and light with one beautiful almost white drake. Himself is very pleased.

Labor Day weekend he's going to Yuma AZ for a week fo dove, then at the end of Sept. he's going to Montanna (or maybe Wyoming, getting old, can't remember) for about 10 days, thinks its for grouse, and antelope, not sure about that either.

It's going to be very quiet here!

Oh, and tell your friend the ducklings are simply gorgeous, Only 2 chocolates, the rest are lovely and light with one beautiful almost white drake. Himself is very pleased.
Exciting !
I myself still have a hunt to AK on my bucket list (at a nice lodge) with maybe a fishing exp. included for Halibut & Mackinaw......YUM.

You are certainly welcome anytime...altho- do call DH & make sure we are home before such a longish drive.
And, if you are after anymore ducks, let me know, he still has more !

So we have a wild Turkey that every day comes and sits and scratches for food right next to our coop. Does anyone else in the area have an extended, adopted flock? Also, should I be worried about this solo Turkey? Don't they usually travel in groups?

Carol, you will certainly be welcome to visit! We will be looking for chickens once we get up there - I am so excited and yet know it will still be several years...
he.gif

SFH are on my list of breeds to try! LOL, the list is LONG! Diane it sounds like you have some very nice birds!

I see many folks are building their second or multiple coops, be careful, once you start, it is hard to stop! My DH made me promise this last one was the last here... this is number 5. I reluctantly promised.

Have a wonderful afternoon everyone!

ha ha yes I am still here, just had to read PMs...I have another batch of the JGs in the hatching bator due the 11th.......went into lockdown last night...they are for Icammack (sp?) who is really Linde from the great north.......I have to vaccine these babies & meet up with her on the 17th, in Everett.
I am planning a route, which would take me up I-5 to see Hallerlake, then north to meet up with Linde in Everett, then east to visit my kids in Monroe, then back home via 405....to I-5, etc.
Bad part is all visits will have to be rather quick.....
Hallerlake going to be home ?
And TC: where is himself going off to hunt ?
Well, I'd love to crash your party with Hallerlake.
It would be good to see you again.

So we have a wild Turkey that every day comes and sits and scratches for food right next to our coop. Does anyone else in the area have an extended, adopted flock? Also, should I be worried about this solo Turkey? Don't they usually travel in groups?

I have a ton of little birds who think that it's a free buffet here. The canadian geese don't come up on the property anymore. The dogs have chased them off into the pond enough they finally got the hint.

There is a little killdeer that lays eggs in the gravel each spring that the dogs leave alone. They treat her like a chicken that belongs. Have to be careful walking out there in spring. I've almost stepped on her before I knew where the nest was. She is not afraid of either me or the dogs as she figured out we leave her be. I've been able to walk over and get pictures of the nest without her moving more than a foot away and telling me I better not step on her eggs. The male always does the wing thing, but the female just doesn't care.

There are turkeys up at my parents cabin. We've even seen the flock chase off the deer to eat the cob that is put out. I haven't seen any around here.

There is a little killdeer that lays eggs in the gravel each spring that the dogs leave alone. They treat her like a chicken that belongs. Have to be careful walking out there in spring. I've almost stepped on her before I knew where the nest was. She is not afraid of either me or the dogs as she figured out we leave her be. I've been able to walk over and get pictures of the nest without her moving more than a foot away and telling me I better not step on her eggs. The male always does the wing thing, but the female just doesn't care.

That's adorable!

Well, they say the ones in the wild are "smart"! It wants food. But I know, with our turkeys (they do get swapped out every year to the freezer, but they are ALWAYS different) some are "okay" with everyone, and some are pretty aggressive! When I'd throw out scratch or food scraps turkeys (along with chickens and ducks) would occasionally mow over the little guys to get it. Our turkeys have a way of getting on my bad side, maybe that's my way of making it okay to eat them. lol
wink.png
Nothing like a big old "Godzilla" stomping on my sweet chickies and ducks!!
I would be very cautious.
Oh, how my husband would just LOVE to see a wild turkey on our property!!

I see people talking about coyotes, but has anyone had losses from predator birds?? We used to think, "how wonderful, and eagle!". Until "something" from the sky, killed and consumed one of our beautiful ducks this late spring.
hit.gif
Although we suspect a red tail hawk, eagles are not out of the question. So now, every time one flies over, I think, "**** vulture!"
somad.gif
We used to free range, but no more. They are always flying around our area.... we had to build some tractors, and its more of a pain to be moving everyone around to keep them safe. It was a nice year of free ranging while it lasted!!

Back
Top Bottom