Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hope everyone had a Good Christmas day yesterday. I was laid up with a twisted back - luckily we had our "Xmas party supper" the night before.

BAck to normal, almost, just having to figure out what to do with all the leftovers. Too fine food to give to chickens.

Now I'm waiting anxiously for eggs to put in the hatcher. Hurry up spring!

Hi all!

Hoping for a Holiday miracle here.

Wondering if any of you might be looking for a handsome rooster to join your flock or know of someone who might be?! Roosters have recently been banned here in Shoreline (grumble) and one of ours has started crowing. He is just over 7 months old … hatched from a cross between our very own Amerucana hen and Cuckoo Maran rooster. Ira, as we call him, is nice as can be and has been raised on Scratch and Peck feed supplemented by organic kitchen scraps. We are looking for a fun home for him where he can run free and crow to his hearts content.

Forgot to mention he is FREE and we will happily deliver!

Will have to cull him if we don't find him a home soon so please don't hesitate to message me ASAP if you are at all interested.

Thank you!

Hi all!

Wondering if any of you might be looking for a handsome rooster to join your flock or know of someone who might be?! Roosters have recently been banned here in Shoreline (grumble) and one of ours has started crowing. He is just over 7 months old … hatched from a cross between our very own Amerucana hen and Cuckoo Maran rooster. Ira, as we call him, is nice as can be and has been raised on Scratch and Peck feed supplemented by organic kitchen scraps. We are looking for a fun home for him where he can run free and crow to his hearts content.

Will have to cull him if we don't find him a home soon so please don't hesitate to message me ASAP if you are at all interested.

Thank you!

I share your frustration with the Shoreline city council deciding to ban roosters. It is absolutely absurd and their argument against them is equally so. They stated that because it is difficulty to prove that roosters are a nuisance they will just ban them outright. I vote we ban dogs outright because it is difficult to prove they are a nuisance(not actually, I love dogs but I think they can and often are just as loud as a rooster).

I bought my home in Shoreline SPECIFICALLY so that I can own a rooster to have with my flock.

Last edited:
My goose has been sitting on her nest for a week now :/. The last two days the gander has joined her. This is not an ideal time of year for this silliness! They are hatchery Africans(?) and are not even a year old so I was not even expecting eggs until spring. Anyone with goose experience here? I posted on a goose thread but haven't got a responseas to whether or not I should pull her off and break broodiness or just let her finish out the month. She has, I think, 3 eggs under her but I doubt they are fertile.

My goose has been sitting on her nest for a week now
hmm.png
. The last two days the gander has joined her. This is not an ideal time of year for this silliness! They are hatchery Africans(?) and are not even a year old so I was not even expecting eggs until spring. Anyone with goose experience here? I posted on a goose thread but haven't got a responseas to whether or not I should pull her off and break broodiness or just let her finish out the month. She has, I think, 3 eggs under her but I doubt they are fertile.

They probably aren't fertile, but what if they are? Then you will have 1-3 babies, and she won't lay again this year. We didn't let our young geese sit until spring, and even at a year the eggs weren't fertile.

Anyone know of any store or breeder that would have White leghorn chicks before feb.? Looking to increase the flock and would prefer them sooner then later. Nothing worse then chickens just starting to lay at the beginning of fall!!!!

So, Totalcolour, do you just keep taking the goose off the nest or do you have to put her in a separate cage/area like a broody hen?

I kept her separate, finally let her out. Then she stole some baby Orpington chicks from one of the hens, who I thought had lost them. I ended up selling the goose and the gander. He kept killing the ducklings. She was a good mama though to the baby chicks. Kept them with her all the time (she only had them a couple of days before we sold her).

Hi all!

Thank you!

He's not grandfathered?

Back
Top Bottom