Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

142 pages I missed !

th.gif

But I've been canning ever single day until today, and I am BEAT TIRED !
As soon as I picked & can all the green beans, I'd have TONS of tomatoes to can, as soon as that was done, the guys brought in 2 TUNA and more plums, and when that was done, the green beans were full again, ON & ON & ON !

Last 3 days have been bread & butter pickles, then Dill pickles, and another batch of Tomatoe Sauce with basil & Oregano.

And now, I am ready for Salmon !
Smoker's ready, Canner is ready !

th.gif

I think in another day I'll have enough Tomatoes ripe to do another case of Sauce.............then the green beans again......................

Took a bunch of pics but left the camera downstairs...I promise to upload next time.................

I am now going to sit DOWN and read a good book, later chookiezoids !
frow.gif

I tried to describe to mom your awesome garden and the green beans. She just couldn't comprehend it. I'm just still really jealous.

I can't wait for salmon.

Do you smoke it then can? I haven't tried canning it yet. I've just frozen and smoked it.

I tried to describe to mom your awesome garden and the green beans. She just couldn't comprehend it. I'm just still really jealous.

I can't wait for salmon.

Do you smoke it then can? I haven't tried canning it yet. I've just frozen and smoked it.
Thanks, and yes I can it before and after.
The before smoking fish can be used for salmon cakes & loafs, sandwiches, etc, and the smoked can be canned & then used as pu pu platter items, or serve at a get together.
It can be used to make the sandwich spread & loaf also.
Salmon just does not freeze well with all it's oils & fats, it gets a rancid fat taste in just a few months, and I hate it like that, rather have it canned.
IF we ever get an hard rain (for a few days) enough to swell the rivers, then the salmon will come in.
But not with this drought !

Thanks, and yes I can it before and after.
The before smoking fish can be used for salmon cakes & loafs, sandwiches, etc, and the smoked can be canned & then used as pu pu platter items, or serve at a get together.
It can be used to make the sandwich spread & loaf also.
Salmon just does not freeze well with all it's oils & fats, it gets a rancid fat taste in just a few months, and I hate it like that, rather have it canned.
IF we ever get an hard rain (for a few days) enough to swell the rivers, then the salmon will come in.
But not with this drought !

DH went down to the river and saw a bunch of little salmon (under 1 inch) and tadpoles. The river is only a 2 mile walk from the house. I have a feeling I wont be seeing DH much still the salmon stop running lol

I asked about canning but he wants to smoke them which is a good thing since he just bought a smoker!

Last edited:
DH went down to the river and saw a bunch of little salmon (under 1 inch) and tadpoles. The river is only a 2 mile walk from the house. I have a feeling I wont be seeing DH much still the salmon stop running lol

I asked about canning but he wants to smoke them which is a good thing since he just bought a smoker!
You still have to do something with it after you smoke it, like freeze it or can it.
My freezer(s) are full, and it is not even Salmon and Deer season yet, and heaven forbid some neighbors get us in on an elk...I'll have to go buy freezer #3

You still have to do something with it after you smoke it, like freeze it or can it.
My freezer(s) are full, and it is not even Salmon and Deer season yet, and heaven forbid some neighbors get us in on an elk...I'll have to go buy freezer #3

Yeah he's going to buy a vacuum sealing system. We also are on the look out for another freezer!

Yeah he's going to buy a vacuum sealing system. We also are on the look out for another freezer!
There is alot of books available, especially at Cabela's although I am no cheerleader for that franchise................what you need to know is that smoking is a "curing" system, as is marinating, but in no way are either a way of "preserving"
Although you can a) smoke or marinate
and then
b) preserve.
You can also jerk.....as in jerky meat, which was a way of drying to the point where no bacteria can live on the meat.
But noT pallatible, especially jerky fish~~
sickbyc.gif
AND A WEE BIT HARD TO CHEW !~~~~~~~~~~~~ no way do we jerk fish !
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The vacuum bag systems are very expensive,I got a little tired of mine in about 1980 and, (then bought A NEW ONE) the new one I gave away in 2000 I think....tired of them not working mid-deer butcher, and having to buy their bags to fit their vacuum sealer=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
. I use ziplock freezer bags, only.
But you get what you want.
wink.png

The thing you guys need to figure out is how will you preserve your meat & fish.

oh......pictures uploaded:
Tuna #1:

Tuna canned:

Tuna and salsa, in this case, Texas Caviar Salsa:

A big pot of Texas caviar !

The giant pot of Tomato Sauce...

Getting the Herbs in the jars ready to fill~~~~~~~Tomato Sauce

Now, the Tomato Sauce:

Oh there is way more....A second Tuna................

OK, pickles:

B&B ! ! !

DILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:

Omitted the chili, squash, soup, broth and green bean pictures...............................................................
th.gif

*********************Oh yeah I wish you were here Kim ! I'd put you to work for sure !!******
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I think I have a problem I bought some chics from the farm store .the mama wants the baby's to stay under her n not come out at all if they come out she pecks them really hard until they hide under her again is this normal.she had one of her own already and let's that one do as it pleases .I think the new ones are maybe a week younger

Last edited:
There is alot of books available, especially at Cabela's although I am no cheerleader for that franchise................what you need to know is that smoking is a "curing" system, as is marinating, but in no way are either a way of "preserving"
Although you can a) smoke or marinate
and then
b) preserve.
You can also jerk.....as in jerky meat, which was a way of drying to the point where no bacteria can live on the meat.
But noT pallatible, especially jerky fish~~
sickbyc.gif
AND A WEE BIT HARD TO CHEW !~~~~~~~~~~~~ no way do we jerk fish !
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The vacuum bag systems are very expensive,I got a little tired of mine in about 1980 and, (then bought A NEW ONE) the new one I gave away in 2000 I think....tired of them not working mid-deer butcher, and having to buy their bags to fit their vacuum sealer=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
. I use ziplock freezer bags, only.
But you get what you want.
wink.png

The thing you guys need to figure out is how will you preserve your meat & fish.

He will have to figure it out not me lol. This is his baby, my baby is the chicken's.

I'm a horrible cook but he is a fabulous one. His mom taught him from really little to can stuff, make bread, scones, salsa, and make freezer jam. He tried to explain it to me once but stopped when my eyes crossed and I started to drool
gig.gif

My dd loves that type of stuff though so she'll listen to him and soak it all up!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom