Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote:

If you do add more insulation, be careful not to reduce the amount of ventilation. They need LOTS of ventilation up there to prevent condensation and a build up of ammonia. Both will cause respiratory problems in the birds. (Please excuse me if you already know this and are planning accordingly.)

Hi All,
I've been kinda busy the past week or so, it looks like I missed saying hello to some new peeps.
Sooo...
frow.gif
Welcome!

Congratulations to those with new chicks, too. That's always fun.

We've survived the cold without losing power, thank goodness. I've been taking warm water to the girls every morning because the metal watering nipples always freeze if it goes below 30 for the whole night. They think it's a real treat. LoL My RSL is the only one laying during this cold snap and she's been molting too. What a trooper. I do have a light in the coop for laying but that's not enough to keep the other girls going. Now that it's warming up again I hope they get back on track. I think my Am was getting ready to resume just about the time the temps plummeted, so with a bit of luck she may get started again too. But I'm not sure I'm going to like the rain any better than the freezing weather. At least the sun has been nice and cheery.
big_smile.png

Yikes! Need some advice please!

I initially wanted chickens, but wasn't able to sell my husband on them as they make noise and he doesn't want to be that neighbor. I get it, kind of. Anyway, we found out about muscovy ducks, and I was finally able to get him on board with them, as they're very quiet. So we built a heck of a duck pen and got some ducks, with the plan being that we'd keep them for eggs, and maybe hatch out a batch each year for the freezer. After I slaughtered 2 males this summer (ducks seem to take a lot longer to die than chickens), it became clear to me that I didn't want to put myself through that willingly on a somewhat regular basis. Despite my research, I still was not quite prepared for just how disgusting they are (I am aware that all birds are dirty, but ducks are extra gooey dirty). Their pond goes from clean fresh water to a mudpit within hours, and I hate using all that water. They also just sit on top of the beautiful doghouse that we have in their enclosure and crap all over it. The roof will rot out shortly. They need a dish that they can submerge their heads in to keep their nares clean, and they carry their food over to it and fill it with dirt and mud and old food. It gets full of sloop within 12 hours, and keeping it defrosted isn't as simple as it is with chicken water.

Then there's the pond. The drain valve on the pond sucks (that's my fault for using a PVC valve) and both of the ears broke off after a few months worth of use. I also can't get it unscrewed from the drain pipe that is buried in the ground. And there are rats. Like, lots of rats. Because the ducks are slobs when it comes to food, the rats always have access to dropped grains, and they have taken up permanent residence under the pond in a series of elaborate tunnels. I've flooded them out several times and one of my dogs has gleefully killed them, but as long as the pond is buried in the ground, I will always have a rat problem. So now the pond is sitting empty in the enclosure because the valve is destroyed and it's just a big rat nest underneath.

I'm tearing out the pond, getting rid of the ducks, building a proper coop and getting chickens. It's too late for my husband not to build me an enclosure, and the only neighbors that we were concerned with upsetting have since gotten a yappy little dog that they leave outside for marathon barking sessions, so I am totally OK with chickens. If we get any that are too loud, I'll kill them and we'll have soup, and I can get a new one. The added benefit of hens is eggs throughout the year and different colored shells.

Am I being too rash? Does anyone want 2 muscovy females an 1 muscovy male? They're gorgeous birds, I am just in over my head in regards to gross factor.

As much as i have thought about Muscovies, the issues you raise is why i am not ready to splurge in that direction. Chickens are addicting and i am still trying to control my passion…..vbg…..Hens can be noisy, some breeds more than others, i hope your husband understands….

Since we have been having such cold weather, i have dropped my outdoor perches in favor of 2 x 4, flat side up….last year i had a hen with frostbit toes and the extra width allows their feet to be covered better with their fluff…..Because i have outside open pens with walls and other weather protection, when the perches are removed the birds come together and form a chick pile keeping everyone warm.

Would it be possible for you to share a couple photos of your pens? I'd also love some input in regards to what I need to do to make it work for chickens.

Obviously more perches and nest boxes. I'll take out the pond and dog house (anyone want a nice dog house that needs a new roof? do I keep it for silkies to cuddle in?) I'd assume roofing the run in that clear plastic would probably be useful. Should I be building an actual coop or just the particular things they'd need? I assume chickens would probably like some protection from the elements.

Am I being too rash? Does anyone want 2 muscovy females an 1 muscovy male? They're gorgeous birds, I am just in over my head in regards to gross factor.
Sorry to hear the ducks aren't working out! I had the pleasure of house sitting for a neighbor that has both chickens and ducks. The ducks were so dirty that I knew right away I could never own them. The neighbor seems to be OK with the filth since they eat all their slugs. A trade off??? Different strokes for different folks.

If you'd like a really noisy chicken that will annoy the hell out your neighbor with the yappy dog, I have one for you! She's actually a very sweet bird but never shuts up!
wink.png

I initially wanted chickens, but wasn't able to sell my husband on them as they make noise and he doesn't want to be that neighbor. I get it, kind of. Anyway, we found out about muscovy ducks, and I was finally able to get him on board with them, as they're very quiet. So we built a heck of a duck pen and got some ducks, with the plan being that we'd keep them for eggs, and maybe hatch out a batch each year for the freezer. After I slaughtered 2 males this summer (ducks seem to take a lot longer to die than chickens), it became clear to me that I didn't want to put myself through that willingly on a somewhat regular basis. Despite my research, I still was not quite prepared for just how disgusting they are (I am aware that all birds are dirty, but ducks are extra gooey dirty). Their pond goes from clean fresh water to a mudpit within hours, and I hate using all that water. They also just sit on top of the beautiful doghouse that we have in their enclosure and crap all over it. The roof will rot out shortly. They need a dish that they can submerge their heads in to keep their nares clean, and they carry their food over to it and fill it with dirt and mud and old food. It gets full of sloop within 12 hours, and keeping it defrosted isn't as simple as it is with chicken water.

Then there's the pond. The drain valve on the pond sucks (that's my fault for using a PVC valve) and both of the ears broke off after a few months worth of use. I also can't get it unscrewed from the drain pipe that is buried in the ground. And there are rats. Like, lots of rats. Because the ducks are slobs when it comes to food, the rats always have access to dropped grains, and they have taken up permanent residence under the pond in a series of elaborate tunnels. I've flooded them out several times and one of my dogs has gleefully killed them, but as long as the pond is buried in the ground, I will always have a rat problem. So now the pond is sitting empty in the enclosure because the valve is destroyed and it's just a big rat nest underneath.

I'm tearing out the pond, getting rid of the ducks, building a proper coop and getting chickens. It's too late for my husband not to build me an enclosure, and the only neighbors that we were concerned with upsetting have since gotten a yappy little dog that they leave outside for marathon barking sessions, so I am totally OK with chickens. If we get any that are too loud, I'll kill them and we'll have soup, and I can get a new one. The added benefit of hens is eggs throughout the year and different colored shells.

Laurel, Afternoon....... I'm sorry..... very sorry, but I have tears streaming down my cheeks.... You are a fabulous writer and can somehow make lite of a crappy situation...
Enjoy your chickens.... That's a nice set up....

Dave

Back
Top Bottom