Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Fresh cut hay awwwh the memories of childhood I can remember also. I have never been a townie so to speak always lived out but also lived a life that was way to busy for chickens or gardens. Since I was forced to surrendered I convinced my best friend and his adult son we could do more together than alone and we bought the home we all wanted. I have no immune system or a poor excuse but don't live in a bubble either we have 3/4 of an acre what could be hay is to the left of our house my domain I also have a 6 x 8 greenhouse that will go up in the next month for a great garden that could be hay.
COOL!!
thumbsup.gif

My nest boxes have those nest box mats and then aspen.
So far my eggs have been consistently clean (occasional feather or piece of aspen).
I don't wash mine, and I store them on an egg skelter on the counter.

(One egg was soiled once, so I washed it and put it in the fridge).

Of course, I don't sell mine, which makes a difference.
Mine are usually soiled with mud, if at all, but the mud in these pens can contain, (DO contain) coliform bacteria....and occasionally the birds get worms (they ALL do) and the tought of handling unwashed eggs can congure up both tummy aches, e. coli infections (worse than a tummy ache) and worms...none of which I want, for me or my customers.
I just never know what happens to the eggs I sell,

Could be a small child handles it & may get very sick...and kids can die from coliform infections...a little girl died a few months ago, so I prefer not to take a chance on other's lives.
As far as us,
we eat eggs straight from the nest, but that us.

Well, you know how much work is involved in moving to bare land with critters !
Could you cover the domes with chicken wire & spray with gunite ?

This is not my dome, just using it as an example of a dome covered with gunite...

organic-sculpted-home.jpg

They are so COOL!!
I would imagine you could do it, we took a defunct ez up frame 10 x 10 placed it before the "barn dome" adding space for our two snapper mowers tiller and so on. Tim Flowtow built both ours he cuts the pvc making "hubs" at connecting to create the geodesic, he is the one I would recommend he has the mind that these are from.. I have massive tarps on mine with a pony wall I also put chicken wire up to the first layer of pvc, then I ran burlap twice up from the wire that is my chicken coop. what really set me with them is the stability in wind or crazy females with very little sight running a snapper mower pushing the frame back two feet and they still stand.

Quote: The Duck coop is as big as their out side pen and the little door to go in and out is open but they all wanted to stay
together out side. Where one go`s, the others go. I am making them go inside.at night and I close their door.
10 ft X 16 for each area. THey have alfalfa hay to lay on out side if they want to.
The Khake hen and the Indian Runner are a year old and were laying. The other 4 are younger and starting are laying purity good. , I found 5 eggs this morning.

Once your eggs have been washed, you DO need to refrigerate, as the bloom is now gone.

I don't wash my eggs but I do put them in the fridge anyway. I have done a lot of reading, on the washing eggs and refrigeration topic, and talks to people I know who have chickens, and I have decided to keep doing it the way I'm doing it. The people who get my eggs no this and they don't have any problems with it.

I need some suggestions for names for my four new chickens. I try to name my chickens in groups, something similar so that I can keep track of when I got them. Four instance my first three were named red white and blue because I got them on Fourth of July. But I don't know what to name this group. eeny, meeny, minie, and mo?

I need some suggestions for names for my four new chickens. I try to name my chickens in groups, something similar so that I can keep track of when I got them. Four instance my first three were named red white and blue because I got them on Fourth of July. But I don't know what to name this group. eeny, meeny, minie, and mo?
Curly, Moe and Larry and chip or Joe? Chip and Joe where both short lived before Curly came on South park gang was used by me for a litter of pups.

Last edited:
I've never heard of Joe or Chip. I barely remember the other three. But that could work. I don't know South Park. I am so out of touch :) what were the names of the Golden girls? I can only remember Blanche. I could do what guide dog schools do, name them all with the same letter. Such as the L flock or the P flock. At least they are four different colors so I can easily tell them apart. That's kind of important when you can't see very well. Now I have six chickens and I can tell them all apart.

Back
Top Bottom