Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Wow, my chickens made some progress in the last 24 hours. Last night the youngest ones would not even go in the coop by themselves. Tonight they went in the coop and up on the roost for the first time all by themselves. They seem to all be living in harmony.
mine all do as well have for awhile but I have the 5 older hens that
kinda lead the way...
this old hen is heading to hers as well goodnight everyone

Silver Wheaten Sulmtaler..................click the link on the bottom of my page to see more, and the Bielefelders are gorgeous boys too!

The Bielefelders are beautiful birds. Do the Sulmtaler hens have poufy feathers on top of their heads? In some pictures the hens look like it with the lighter feathers. I can see some of them running around my place. Of course, I will need the Mr. to build me another 'dog house'.

Last edited:
Wow, my chickens made some progress in the last 24 hours. Last night the youngest ones would not even go in the coop by themselves. Tonight they went in the coop and up on the roost for the first time all by themselves. They seem to all be living in harmony.
yesss.gif

Did you get new birds ?
I thought you've had chickens for a long time now....

@chickielady they are nice looking I am surprised by the size of some these
Sulmtalers are extremely heavy fowl...broad breast, and kind of short legged.
They were bred as meat birds initially, and are extremely prized, as are Bresse Fowl.

Read more here about the Sulmtaler:

http://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/en/ark-of-taste-slow-food/sulmtaler-chicken/

32_-532360694-300x218.jpg

They are crested, and hens have a wavy comb, as seen here in a GF photo:

sulmtaler-banner.jpg

They are cousins (or even closer) to the Styrian and Alsterier......(sp?) and since they lay a white medium to large size egg, you have the best of both slow meat chicken and a good egg layer, and they are fantastic foragers & being heavy, they are not a flighty bird.
It is interesting that you can breed an Ameraucana over Sulmtaler hens, and get a crested blue egg layer...like a cream legbar (LOL)
OK back to work for me !

The Bielefelders are beautiful birds. Do the Sulmtaler hens have poufy feathers on top of their heads? In some pictures the hens look like it with the lighter feathers. I can see some of them running around my place. Of course, I will need the Mr. to build me another 'dog house'.
These is a pic of juvenile Sulmtalers..... the light ones are silver wheaten, the goldish ones are wheaten

The lower left is a cockerel, a white Sulmtaler cockerel, and next to him on lower right is a wheaten pullet, and above them is a silver wheaten pullet, and the birds way up top are Biels.

:yesss:

Did you get new birds ?
I thought you've had chickens for a long time now....

I have had chickens for a total of two years now. But this year I added new ones in January, March, and again in May. I'm getting really good at integrating them into the existing flock :) now all 12 of them are getting along just fine. They free range during the day and go in the coop at night.

@chickielady Attractive birds no doubt so they are
heavier than say even my barred

When you say "My barreds" we really don't know which breed you are referring to.............................Barred leghorns ? barred Cochins ?/// Large Fowl or Bantam ?????? Barred bantam ??
You need to refer to your Plymouth Rocks, as there is a hundred breeds that are barred.
refer to your birds by their breed, for example, a Plymouth Rock is a PR.............and they come in many colors.We do not call them by their colors, but by their breed.
Example would be 2 types of Ameraucana, one is Wheaten and one is Black. But they are all referred to as Ameraucana, and we do not refer to any of them by their color

wink.png
So you need to call your PRs as PRs...not barred.....................................................................PRs come in too many colors, as do so many other breeds....so do you only have 1 breed now ? And it is a barred chicken ?
I have so many friends who breed awesome Plymouth Rocks....and in so many colors !
And I have so many freinds who breed Dominikers.........................The father of barred birds, period

I am trying to get this straight as you keep saying "My barred......................." so we are wondering: Your barred WHAT ?? Barred Cochins ? Barred Sulmtalers ? bared what ?
Barring on a bird can effect so many breeds...so you need to refer to your birds by the breed, not their color
Hopefully this is educational... Please refer to the BREED, and if necessary, the color.
In most instances, we do not need to know what the heck color your birds are, most of us have multiple colors of a certain breed.......please specify your breed, that's all.

For example: You want to discuss your White Plymouth Rocks................so you say your PRW.....all breeds are listed by their breed before their coloration
Penny1960
hugs.gif
Learn, I had to

When you say "My barreds" we really don't know which breed you are referring to.............................Barred leghorns ? barred Cochins ?/// Large Fowl or Bantam ?????? Barred bantam ??
You need to refer to your Plymouth Rocks, as there is a hundred breeds that are barred.
refer to your birds by their breed, for example, a Plymouth Rock is a PR.............and they come in many colors.We do not call them by their colors, but by their breed.
Example would be 2 types of Ameraucana, one is Wheaten and one is Black. But they are all referred to as Ameraucana, and we do not refer to any of them by their color

wink.png
So you need to call your PRs as PRs...not barred.....................................................................PRs come in too many colors, as do so many other breeds....so do you only have 1 breed now ? And it is a barred chicken ?
I have so many friends who breed awesome Plymouth Rocks....and in so many colors !
And I have so many freinds who breed Dominikers.........................The father of barred birds, period

I am trying to get this straight as you keep saying "My barred......................." so we are wondering: Your barred WHAT ?? Barred Cochins ? Barred Sulmtalers ? bared what ?
Barring on a bird can effect so many breeds...so you need to refer to your birds by the breed, not their color
Hopefully this is educational... Please refer to the BREED, and if necessary, the color.
In most instances, we do not need to know what the heck color your birds are, most of us have multiple colors of a certain breed.......please specify your breed, that's all.

For example: You want to discuss your White Plymouth Rocks................so you say your PRW.....all breeds are listed by their breed before their coloration
Penny1960
hugs.gif
Learn, I had to
Kind of like referring to a Black Labrador as a 'Black'. Doesn't really make sense.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom