Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

That confused me, too. I thought bumblefoot was on the bottom of the foot and not the top.
I will research that.
Thank you!!!

Anyone else have an opinion?

I've learned recently that chicken do handle infections around a wound differently than humans and many other animals. Their body will encase the infection and create a hard mass rather than puss. Bumble foot is an example of that. If that were mine I would soak with epsom salts an spray with vetericyn if you have it, repeating daily for a week and see if it clears up. Maybe encourage the scab to come off and heal on its own If it gets red or feverish open it up and treat like bumblefoot. Just my thoughts! I don't really like cutting and creating an open wound if I don't have too. Do more research. Best of luck with all that you have going on, I know it's a lot!
hugs.gif

Right! The Maran/s thing! It's French, people.
I also don't understand why people think that Easter Eggers are Ameraucana or Araucana mixes. Um, no. For that to be true, hatcheries would have to have had true Ameraucana or Araucana at some point, and they never have. Or the whole 'Ameraucana were derived from Araucana,' thing. Again, no. For some reason, people can not grasp the concept that prior to the 1970s, there were no Ameraucana, Araucana, Easter Egger distinctions. They were all just called Araucana, and they all fell into the category of 'Easter Egger' by today's definitions.

I don't think people know what's going on with the Easter egg her stuff because of what they are told. All the feed stores etc. call them Easter Eggers or Americana. But they don't go into the difference. The hatchery pages I have looked at all seem to be honest about it though. Although I hear that many aren't. You have to be patient with us new people. We're trying. We all have to learn sometime.

The issue is when people misinterpret the breed histories. They read that Ameraucana were developed from birds that were called Araucana, but they fail to realize that the Araucana then, is not what an Araucana is now.
And lots of hatchery pages seem to think Easter Egger and Ameraucana are the same thing. They don't even know what it is that makes their birds disqualified from being Ameraucana.

Quote: see I know I have Easter Eggers Gena told me
lau.gif

I know french like the poodle nothing to do with birds new venue for me also
barnie.gif

see my BR ? hens where hatchery birds it wasn't till I came on here found people
like chickielady and junebuggena to educate me and show me the better way to
know what you are getting be able to converse in a reasonable manner and enjoy the
lessons being taught with our own growth.

I had an otter run into my sliding dooryesterday. Has anyone ever had issues with them and their chickens? I've seen them eat grebes and crabs, and am hoping I don't have to worry about them getting into my coop on top of the bear and coons, lol.

Right! The Maran/s thing! It's French, people.
I also don't understand why people think that Easter Eggers are Ameraucana or Araucana mixes. Um, no. For that to be true, hatcheries would have to have had true Ameraucana or Araucana at some point, and they never have. Or the whole 'Ameraucana were derived from Araucana,' thing. Again, no. For some reason, people can not grasp the concept that prior to the 1970s, there were no Ameraucana, Araucana, Easter Egger distinctions. They were all just called Araucana, and they all fell into the category of 'Easter Egger' by today's definitions.

I don't think people know what's going on with the Easter egg her stuff because of what they are told. All the feed stores etc. call them Easter Eggers or Americana. But they don't go into the difference. The hatchery pages I have looked at all seem to be honest about it though. Although I hear that many aren't. You have to be patient with us new people. We're trying. We all have to learn sometime.

Educating those who don't know and want to isn't an issue. We all were on that end of the knowledge at one time. It's the violently abusive people that insist that only a hatchery can have purebred birds that sticks in my craw. I've come across two of those and i still have the urge to shake some sense into them.

Educating those who don't know and want to isn't an issue. We all were on that end of the knowledge at one time. It's the violently abusive people that insist that only a hatchery can have purebred birds that sticks in my craw. I've come across two of those and i still have the urge to shake some sense into them.
Or those who insist that they breed 'heritage' Ameraucana. But they don't breed to any sort of standard, and their birds are clearly Easter Eggers...
There is at least one such person on this site. I kind of like winding her up, just to see how far she'll take it.

Or those who insist that they breed 'heritage' Ameraucana. But they don't breed to any sort of standard, and their birds are clearly Easter Eggers...
There is at least one such person on this site. I kind of like winding her up, just to see how far she'll take it.

It was over Rhode Island Reds that I got into an argument with one person. Could not get them to understand about hatcheries just having production reds.

The other was a person at the county fair who was going on and on about how high of quality and breeding the "blue wheaten americana" their kid had entered were. The birds were the wild partridge color that is so typical of hatchery EEs. When i called her out on color, she started insisting that they were actually silver "americana" then.

Someone is trying to improve things at the county fair here bird wise i think. Some 4H club really getting the kids into quality birds. I saw a couple actual ameraucana last year. And even the random people were commenting on some of the different breeds of pretty birds entered. Even they could tell the difference. The amount of feathering on a well bred silkie verses a hatchery one makes them look like different breeds.

I've come across the RIR/Production Red thing before, too. It wasn't too long ago either. The guy got to the point of saying, "Well, then there can't be any real Rhode Island Reds at all, since no bird meets the breed standard perfectly and exactly."
It got pretty ridiculous. He could not get his head around what exactly made his hatchery RIR so different from breed standard RIR.

It was over Rhode Island Reds that I got into an argument with one person. Could not get them to understand about hatcheries just having production reds.

The other was a person at the county fair who was going on and on about how high of quality and breeding the "blue wheaten americana" their kid had entered were. The birds were the wild partridge color that is so typical of hatchery EEs. When i called her out on color, she started insisting that they were actually silver "americana" then.

Someone is trying to improve things at the county fair here bird wise i think. Some 4H club really getting the kids into quality birds. I saw a couple actual ameraucana last year. And even the random people were commenting on some of the different breeds of pretty birds entered. Even they could tell the difference. The amount of feathering on a well bred silkie verses a hatchery one makes them look like different breeds.
The Clatsop County fair last year was pretty bad. A Barred Rock won first place, the only problem was, it was entered as a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom