Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

The old beer boxes my chickens have used as nest boxes forever got replaced today. I've seen 2, and even 3 chickens crammed into a single box at the same time trying to lay eggs.

Since they don't mind being close together when laying I decided to make a single, large communal nest box. Hope they decide to use it.

IMG_3487.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG IMG_3492.JPG

DH built our nest boxes along one wall of the coop, 8 of them. They are nice, and raised off the ground, but the girls generally all lay in the same couple boxes and often lay in a nest of their own making on the floor, under the nest boxes. Straw both places to get settled in. Ah well, you can give them the best sort of spaces, but they will still make their own decisions. They are certainly adorable.

Is the wood box on the wall how you do oyster ?
anyway decided to copy for my oyster.
Have it in 2 metal feeders, not sure they like it.
Yes, I built small wooden boxes. Two in the secure, overnight run; one with grit, the other with oyster and eggshells. There's another box on the front of the coop, in the day run. I think it has both grit and oyster in it. They are just screwed into place.

Edited to add:
I should throw this in. These little boxes are made from pallet wood.

IMG_2263.JPG IMG_2265.JPG IMG_2268.JPG

This is the box on the coop in the day run. I think that's Pete with the hen. Or maybe it's Cooper. I can't tell.

IMG_2621.JPG

Last edited:
I just fed my chickens some scrambled eggs with crushed eggshells mixed in. There have been a few eggs broken in the nest lately because some of the shells are more fragile than they should be.

They are getting layer feed, and have oyster/eggshells available all the time. I guess some chickens don't crave calcium sources when they're running low.

Back
Top Bottom