Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

And I didn't forget about the chickens. I gave them the raw pork bone, which still had some good pickin' meat on it. Never gave the hens raw meat like this, but they seem to enjoy it to the point of fighting over it.

IMG_3988.JPG IMG_3992.JPG

Seasoned the 1/4" grind pork and mixed it together, then ground it again with the 1/8" plate. It needs to chill in the fridge for the flavors to meld before I can package it for the freezer.

Not really that much work to make sausage. Only takes a few hours to make 10 pounds. Glad I have a dishwasher.

View attachment 3818864View attachment 3818865View attachment 3818866View attachment 3818867View attachment 3818868View attachment 3818869View attachment 3818871View attachment 3818872
Bill that looks wonderful. I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it but you can grow your own sage from plants available. I just bought a replacement sage plant for $2 at Rite Aid.
IMG_4868.jpeg

Bill that looks wonderful. I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it but you can grow your own sage from plants available. I just bought a replacement sage plant for $2 at Rite Aid.View attachment 3818981
I tried to start some sage seeds last year and they didn't come up. I still have the seeds so I'll plant more and maybe I'll get one to grow.

There is a sage plant at my son's house that was there when he bought it and it's survived every winter. Maybe there are cold hardy varieties??? I will do some Googling and check for that...

I started two rosemary plants from seed last winter/spring and they grew great over the summer. That dang cold weather in the teens in December or January killed them both! I should've mulched them heavily last fall. I need to plant rosemary seeds too.

I fried up a patty of my breakfast sausage. It doesn't taste like Jimmy Dean sausage but it'll work. Could've used a lot more sage in the seasoning. All the other herbs I added give it a "unique" flavor. Not bad at all, really. Just different.

Could've used more salt for my taste, too. I used three rounded tablespoons in the 10 pounds of meat. Should've used a rounded 1/4 cup.

I will be enjoying breakfast sausage in the mornings for quite a while now!

My sage didn’t do especially well either, it’s ugly but alive! I lost one of my huge rosemary bushes that I’ve kept for over 20 years! :(
Yeah my rosemary died as well, unexpected when it did fine through most of winter.

My sage is still alive, not exactly pretty, but I only use it for saltimbocca so I don't need a lot nor for it to be terribly robust.

All done! I made up seven one and a half pound rolls of breakfast sausage, 6 in the freezer and one for eating on the next week or so. And the dishes are in the dishwasher.

When the rolls are frozen I'll wrap them in foil for extra protection. Making this sausage was a good use of some of the herbs I saved from last year's garden.

This video taught me how to roll the sausage in plastic wrap. Worked really well!

IMG_3993.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah my rosemary died as well, unexpected when it did fine through most of winter.

My sage is still alive, not exactly pretty, but I only use it for saltimbocca so I don't need a lot nor for it to be terribly robust.
Oh! I made saltimbocca last year! It was in the Bon Apetit magazine I think. One of them anyway. We loved it, but didn't use veal. I can't remember what we did use now.

Back
Top Bottom