Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Thursday night is supposed to be 37 degrees here. Would any of you worry about frozen waterers with that temperature? I don't think I need to worry at all about leaving a light on anymore for the waterer, but I want to be sure. What would you do?

I don't know about where you live, but here in Yakima, our water doesn't freeze until the air temp is 32 degrees or lower. I think you'll be just fine with 37 degree temps.

:)

Quote: I think jess is going on a trip for one night and is worried about the water freezing that night.

I think 37 degrees should be fine Jess~ As long as it doesn't go below 32 here at night, the water hasn't been frozen in the morning. You don't have anyone that could check on it for you?

Quote: I think jess is going on a trip for one night and is worried about the water freezing that night.

I think 37 degrees should be fine Jess~ As long as it doesn't go below 32 here at night, the water hasn't been frozen in the morning. You don't have anyone that could check on it for you?

Unfortunately, not really. My only other chicken friend is 6 months pregnant and really having a hard pregnancy. I wouldn't feel right about asking her to come. And yes RAZ, I'm going out of town for one night and won't be back until late Friday night. I think I can stop worrying about it though, 37 really shouldn't freeze the water. I just forgot what temps to worry about; I don't think our outdoor waterer froze until it hit 32, and when I had it in the coop at night (which I won't do again) it didn't freeze until it was 24-25 degrees.

Gah! I'm so excited to meet you all at the show in March!

I have my pan of water outside my coop on a cinder block to help keep it clean and switch it out every morning with a fresh clean warm pan of water. I do keep my plastic chicken waterer inside my coop but have it on a cinder block as well and it stays pretty clean. Since I have a heat lamp in my coop, I usually dont have to worry about the one inside freezing. We havent gotten above freezing here for almost 2 weeks. I miss the sun

From Backwoods Home Magazine.................

RECIPES

Chowder

A good chowder hits the spot any old time, but especially on a cold winter's evening. We hope you'll enjoy all of this collection.
Clam Chowder

nl1301-r1.jpg
6 slices bacon
3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced or diced clams
1 cup minced onion
1 cup diced celery
2 cups cubed potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart half-and-half cream
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
ground black pepper to taste
Brown the bacon in a large skillet. Remove and drain.
Add the the onions, celery, potatoes, and carrots to the skillet. Drain the juice from the clams into the skillet, then add just enough water to cover the vegetables and and cook over medium heat until tender.
Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and liquid. Heat through, but do not boil.
Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 8

Fish Chowder

nl1301-r2.jpg
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped onion
4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups diced potatoes
2 pounds cod, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, or to taste
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 cup clam juice
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
In a large stockpot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Saute onions, mushrooms, and celery in butter until tender.
Add chicken stock and potatoes; simmer for 10 minutes.
Add fish, and simmer another 10 minutes.
Season to taste with Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix together clam juice and flour until smooth; stir into soup. Remove from heat, and stir in evaporated milk. Serve.
Serves 8

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

nl1301-r3.jpg
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1 cup hot water
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1 tomato, chopped
fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish (optional)
In a Dutch oven, brown chicken, onion, and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink.
Dissolve the bouillon in hot water; Pour into Dutch oven, and season with cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in cream, cheese, corn, chilies, and hot pepper sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cheese is melted. Stir in chopped tomato. Garnish with cilantro.
Serves 8

Crawfish Chowder

nl1301-r4.jpg
1/4 cup butter
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup butter
2 pounds frozen crawfish, cleaned
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of potato soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute green onions in butter until tender. Remove from pan, and set aside. In the same skillet, melt 1/2 cup of butter, and saute the crawfish for 5 minutes; set aside.
In a large pot over medium heat, combine potato soup, mushroom soup, corn, and cream cheese. Mix well, and bring to a slow boil. Stir in half-and-half, sauteed green onions, and crawfish. Season with cayenne pepper. Bring to a low boil, and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
Serves 10

Seafood Chowder

nl1301-r5.jpg
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk, divided
1 (8 ounce) container fat-free cream cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (26 ounce) can fat-free condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup sliced carrots
1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 1/2 cups chopped potatoes
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 pound shrimp
1/2 pound bay scallops
1/2 pound crabmeat
1/2 pound calamari tubes
1 (6.5 ounce) can chopped clams
Place 1/2 cup milk, cream cheese, and garlic in a large pot over low heat. Cook and stir until blended. Mix in soup, green onions, carrots, corn with liquid, potatoes, parsley, and remaining milk. Season with black pepper and cayenne pepper. Simmer 25 minutes. Do not boil.
Mix the shrimp, scallops, crabmeat, calamari, and clams, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until seafood is opaque.
Serves 8

Corn and Crab Chowder

nl1301-r6.jpg
5 slices bacon
1 tablespoon clarified butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon brandy
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 cups fresh corn kernels
4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
1/2 cup butter
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup half-and-half cream
1 pound peeled and deveined small shrimp
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, shell
pieces removed
Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon, and reserve the grease. Allow the bacon to cool, then crumble, and set aside with the grease.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of clarified butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Pour in the white wine and brandy, and bring to a simmer. Season with the basil, white pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the corn and potatoes, then pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, melt 1/2 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour has turned the color of peanut butter to make a roux, about 10 minutes.
Stir the roux into the soup, and pour in the heavy cream, half-and-half cream, reserved bacon and grease, and shrimp. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook until the shrimp are no longer translucent in the center, the potatoes are tender, and the soup has thickened, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with Creole seasoning, and stir in the crab meat to serve.
Serves 10

Cheesy Potato and Corn Chowder

nl1301-r7.jpg
2 tablespoons margarine
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
1 (2.5 ounce) package country style gravy mix
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Mexican-style processed cheese food
In large saucepan, melt margarine over medium high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Add potatoes; cook over low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.
Stir in corn and chiles; return to boiling. Dissolve gravy mix in milk; stir into boiling mixture. Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
Serves 7

Shrimp Chowder

nl1301-r8.jpg
1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of potato soup
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
1/4 cup bacon bits
2 green onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (8 ounce) package cold cream cheese, cubed
1 (4 ounce) can small shrimp, drained
Stir together the cream-style corn, cream of potato soup, half-and-half, bacon bits, green onion, and cayenne pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then stir in cream cheese until melted. Add the shrimp, and cook a minute or two to heat through.
Serves 6

Smokey Clam-Chicken Chowder

nl1301-r9.jpg
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons garlic and herb seasoning blend
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 potato, cubed
2 (6.5 ounce) cans chopped clams
1/2 pound roasted chicken thigh meat, diced
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 cup coarsely shredded smoked cheddar cheese (optional)
Cook the bacon and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until the grease has rendered out, and the bacon has begun to brown. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Stir the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery into the bacon drippings, and cook for 10 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent. Stir in the flour, and continue cooking and stirring 10 minutes more.
Pour in the chicken broth, and season with cumin, red pepper flakes, garlic and herb seasoning blend, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile, place broccoli in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain, and place into a blender. Puree until smooth, using some of the half-and-half as needed.
Add the broccoli puree, remaining half-and-half, potato, clams, and chicken to the simmering chowder. Return to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cubed butter until melted, and sprinkle with Cheddar cheese to serve.
Serves 12

Roasted Sweet Potato Corn Chowder

nl1301-r10.jpg
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon corn oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 (12 ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup water
1 tablespoon corn oil
1 1/2 cups finely diced celery
1 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup shallot, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1 potato, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes into a 9x13 inch baking dish, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of corn oil, and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat the sweet potatoes in oil.
Roast in the preheated oven until the sweet potatoes are golden and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally as they cook so the sweet potatoes cook evenly.
Meanwhile, measure out 1 cup of corn kernels and set aside. Place the remaining corn into a blender, and puree with the water until smooth; set aside.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of corn oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the celery, onion, and shallot. Cook and stir until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and dried thyme leaves; cook 1 minute more. Pour in the vegetable broth, corn puree, bay leaf, salt, and cubed potato. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potato is tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
Once the potato is tender, remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the whole corn kernels, sweet potato, and chopped parsley. Return to a simmer and season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
Serves 10

Am I really the only one with a very smelly chicken problem?? You guys are always full of ideas for every issue and question... please help a fellow BYCer out!! :)
Hi Nikki, Last winter I had some odor problems in the pen. My DiL did too. Both were caused from chicken poo in dirt or sand that was way too wet for cleaning. Hers was the worst because it was just pure mud. I've heard that ducks are much worse. Since then I've covered my pen to keep it dry enough to clean every day. I also removed the top few inches of smelly stuff and put coarser clean sand in. I have very coarse sand in the run and coop and I clean it with a litter box scoop. DiL uses wood chips, about 6" deep so there's no mud in her run any more. They cut down a bunch of trees that were chipped, so they had a lot to use. I've seen a lot of adds on CL for arborists chips for free, too.
Good to know, thank you!! I'll keep my eye on craig's list. Our run is more of a yard, so covering it isn't possible. It's a combination of mud, grass, hard clay and other natural ground covering. The coop has good ventilation, 2 windows that open and openings up near the roof as well. We also keep one of the doors open during the day so they can come and go as they please. It takes 5-6 bricks of shavings when we do total clean outs (we did one of those about a month ago) and then we fluff the shavings weekly. I'll see if I can find some pics of our set up :) . Thanks everyone!!
I see we are getting more and more peeps in the Longview / Kelso area. Ya know peeps we don't gotta let them city slickerz be the only ones that get to do meet ups. I would love if some of us could set something up. And I bet Mr. mikey would be wiling. Maybe he could come to my place or 68 ride down with us. If there is any interest please PM ME!! I didn't know there was a Longview/Kelso meet up!! When!?! Nikki99 I think a lot of the odor problem may be a matter of wet clay soil and cackle Spackle. I know my runs get rather fragrant this time of year. Just an FYI I snuck out a couple days ago when it was warmer (40*) and peeked inside my bee hives.
sad.png
2 of 3 are dead
hit.gif
This has not been good times for me.
th.gif
I won't know for sure until it warms enough to open them up for inspection (50*). Then I will suit up and have EPIPENS in hand. From what I did see when I peeked in it looks like they starved. Either due to lack of stores or because in this cold weather they wouldn't break cluster to feed. So once again unless the allergies are too great I will be working hard at catching swarms and extracting colonies from structures. PLEASE PEOPLE DO NOT POISON (spray) honey bees. If you have bees that need removed call your local extension office. They can put you in contact with people in your area who will remove them. I can't speak for others but down here this is a service our bee team provides free of charge. However we do accept donations which go to the club and our scholarship fund.
Sorry to hear about ur bees. :(
So yesterday, out of the blue, DW says, "When is the 2013 coop-a-thon?" So -- who needs stuff built?
Hmm, I dunno, I'm thinkin about a separate little house for our ducks... what's your going rate?
You pay the fuel to and from my house to yours, and a place to park the camper trailer. You buy all the materials, I'll help with a list. Nails or staples are 2 cents each. Oh .. and you gotta feed me :)
Good to know, I'll keep it in mind!

came home yesterday afternoon, and the little one that the others had been ostracizing on was dead. Man, it really got to me. I was in a major funk all last night. I wish I knew if there was something wrong with her besides being a runt and being picked on.... There was nothing obviously wrong though...

I'm very sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Jennifer

I see we are getting more and more peeps in the Longview / Kelso area. Ya know peeps we don't gotta let them city slickerz be the only ones that get to do meet ups. I would love if some of us could set something up. And I bet Mr. mikey would be wiling. Maybe he could come to my place or 68 ride down with us. If there is any interest please PM ME!!

Nikki99 I think a lot of the odor problem may be a matter of wet clay soil and cackle Spackle. I know my runs get rather fragrant this time of year.

Just an FYI I snuck out a couple days ago when it was warmer (40*) and peeked inside my bee hives.
sad.png
2 of 3 are dead
hit.gif
This has not been good times for me.
th.gif
I won't know for sure until it warms enough to open them up for inspection (50*). Then I will suit up and have EPIPENS in hand. From what I did see when I peeked in it looks like they starved. Either due to lack of stores or because in this cold weather they wouldn't break cluster to feed. So once again unless the allergies are too great I will be working hard at catching swarms and extracting colonies from structures.

PLEASE PEOPLE DO NOT POISON (spray) honey bees. If you have bees that need removed call your local extension office. They can put you in contact with people in your area who will remove them. I can't speak for others but down here this is a service our bee team provides free of charge. However we do accept donations which go to the club and our scholarship fund.

Man, that sucks. Too many bees are being lost every year. I have problems with pollination in my yard, even though I don't use any pesticides at all and grow tons of flowers for the bees and hummingbirds. Somehow the trees and bees just aren't waking up at the same time in the spring.

I hope there are still survivors, or if there aren't, I hope you can replace them easily.

Jennifer

Thursday night is supposed to be 37 degrees here. Would any of you worry about frozen waterers with that temperature? I don't think I need to worry at all about leaving a light on anymore for the waterer, but I want to be sure. What would you do?
I would do nothing. But see we do nothing for waterers anyway. We have spares so we keep clean thawed in the house so we just rotate them. But down here our water doesn't freeze until 32*. Speaking of I just came in from the stables. No wonder I am cold 33 and raining. Oooops thermometer just dropped to 32 this may be fun....

Back
Top Bottom