Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Had one of my 8 month brahma pullets acting sluggish yesterday afternoon. I managed to get her to eat some and drink before bed. This morning she wasn't interested in anything and not wanting to move. I brought her in and I couldn't feel anything odd but gave her a warm bath to sit in that she relaxed in. She spent all day on some towels in the bathtub. By this evening she couldn't stand and was having a hard time keeping her head up. When I went to check on her last, and moved her to a move comfortable position and petted her, her comb turned purple and she spasmed and passed. On inspection she was laying internally. It was a mess.

So DH helped me dig a hole out in the garden in the dark. Dang it! She was a very friendly, nosy bird.

Aww, I'm sorry.
sad.png
Seems like it's the friendly ones that are lost first. I'm sure she was a lot happier spending her final hours inside in comfort.

Jennifer

Build a durable planting bed cover

By Charles Sanders
When I decided to build a planting bed cover, I had a few things in mind. First, it needed to be durable. That is, I wanted it to last for many growing seasons. Second, I wanted it to be portable, to be able to be moved as needed. Third, I wanted it to be easy to build. Ultimately, I wanted it to be useful for getting seeds going early and for keeping growing plants bearing and useful late into the season. The cover I came up with filled the bill on all of those counts. Below is a description of the cover and how I built it.
First, decide the size of your frame. I used the full length of an 8-foot 2x6 for the long side of the frame. I could have cut the remaining 2x6 into two pieces making the bed four feet wide; however, I decided that was a little wide to easily reach across once the plants got going. So, I made the bed three feet wide instead.
I used 3-inch deck screws to put the frame together, putting three to a corner. In addition, I added some simple flat right-angle braces to the corners, top, and bottom. I used a carpenter's square to true the corners and added the flat braces. This was done to provide extra reinforcement against warping and the pulling apart of the corners as they weather. Although the screws hold things together pretty well, the braces added strength and rigidity.
nl1301-b1.jpg

Above: The completed and covered frame.
Below: Detail of plastic folded around a lath strip and nailed onto the wood frame.
nl1301-b2.jpg

I roughly calculated the length of the PVC pipe that would be needed to go corner to corner in a bow-shaped fashion. From a standard 10-foot joint of pipe, that left a couple of feet of pipe — perfect for the short legs needed for the corners. Look at the attached illustrations and you can see how those short legs were attached to the inside corners of the wooden frame. I simply drilled two pairs of holes and screwed the piece to the frame, so that two went into the end piece and two went into the side piece at a right angle to the first two. Each leg was left protruding about an inch and a half or so above the wooden frame. That allowed for the next attachment. On each leg, I dry-fitted one of the PVC angle fittings. They projected at nearly the perfect angle to accommodate the long PVC hoops that were next.
The long pieces of PVC pipe were dry-fitted into the angle fittings. First, the end of one piece was placed into one of the fittings. I then ran it over to the opposite far corner and made a pencil mark at the point where it would be in the opposite fitting. A quick cut with the hacksaw and I put the piece in place. The second was done in a minute and the frame was ready to cover. None of the PVC joints were glued, rather simply dry-fitted in place.
The plastic covering I chose to use was some strong, woven greenhouse covering I had left over from re-covering our greenhouse a few years ago. It is very strong woven poly and has a UV-resistant coating that helps make it very durable. I have written about this material before and can't brag on it enough. It is available from Northern Greenhouse Sales at www.northerngreenhouse.com. You can also use lighter plastic sheeting available at nearly any good hardware store. For a small job like this one, some heavy Visqueen clear plastic film will perhaps be more readily available.
nl1301-b3.jpg

Above: The short PVC piece is attached to the corner with the 45-degree fitting pressed into place.
Below: The metal corner bracket that reinforces the corner joint.
nl1301-b4.jpg

I measured off a length of the covering, leaving plenty to reach down past each end and allow for tucking under the frame. Cut the piece wide enough to reach all the way to the floor on either side. We will be doing some tucking and folding later with the excess. Remember it's always easier to trim a bit extra off than try to come up with some extra if you cut the piece too small!
Attached the plastic to the side of the frame by lining up an 8-foot lath strip (or furring strip) along the edge of the plastic, equidistant from each end. Next, roll the plastic once or twice around the strip. Position the strip at the upper edge of the frame's side and secure it with aluminum roofing nails spaced every foot or so. Now, turn the frame up so that the side with the plastic attached is on the floor. Stretch the plastic a bit to where it gives the arched frame a good shape. Repeat the rolling of the lath strip and secure it as you did on the other side. Don't secure the ends yet.
After we nailed the plastic covering in place along the sides of the frame, my son and I carried it to the garden and put it in place over a prepared seed bed of lettuce and spinach. I scuffed a bit of soil up around the bottom of the frame to help close it from drafts.
nl1301-b5.jpg

The completed frame, before being covered by plastic.
I deliberately chose not to secure the ends of the plastic cover at the ends of the frame. I reckoned that once it really started to warm up, I would need to be able to open the cover to allow heat to escape. At first, I simply tucked the plastic under the ends of the frame. However, that would require moving the frame to raise the plastic and check the progress of the seeds, then again when re-tucking the plastic. So I changed tactics and simply laid the plastic on the ground and placed a concrete block atop the loose end on the ground. That seems to work better and helps to anchor the cover against the wind.
A plant bed cover like this is simple to build. It's a good way to spend an afternoon in the workshop. As with other projects I have described in other writings, use what you have or can get easily. Make your place your own.
With this bed cover, we now have a jump start on the season and plan to soon be enjoying some early lettuce and spinach, even though snow is on the ground as I write.

Quote: I used to bring treats, ANY treats that I found they liked and I would scatter it on the ground and then hang out quietly. I found they got used to me and accepted me fairly easily. I always try to just hang out and not always be doing something around them. Some of mine were pretty fighty but did calm down. What breeds do you have?
I have 6 RIR, 2 English Orpingtons, and one Blue Roo who is a Jersey Giant. All are young, RIR's 10 months, the Orpingtons are 7 months and the Blue Roo is about 6 months. Chickie Lady would know about that better then me.
When it's dry I'll usually sit on my bench near the run and they will come to me and get up on the bench with me. Looking for handouts the little beggars.

Was somebody looking for Barred Rocks? I met a lady from Issaquah that breeds them. She also has RIR's. She has eggs in the incubator right now and some that are 6 weeks old and a some older than that.
I have her name and number if anyone is interested.
PM me.
smile.png

I was...but I found some day olds at Seattle Farm Supply and will pick them up in a couple weeks (meaning...he'll get a shipment of day olds on the 12th). Thanks for letting me know!

Had one of my 8 month brahma pullets acting sluggish yesterday afternoon. I managed to get her to eat some and drink before bed. This morning she wasn't interested in anything and not wanting to move. I brought her in and I couldn't feel anything odd but gave her a warm bath to sit in that she relaxed in. She spent all day on some towels in the bathtub. By this evening she couldn't stand and was having a hard time keeping her head up. When I went to check on her last, and moved her to a move comfortable position and petted her, her comb turned purple and she spasmed and passed. On inspection she was laying internally. It was a mess. 

So DH helped me dig a hole out in the garden in the dark. Dang it! She was a very friendly, nosy bird. 

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

X2! :hugs

x3:(
x4. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom