Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Both my dogs initially went after my chickens. I had never owned dogs before nor had I ever taken them to obedience school. I thoroughly trust both my dogs with my chickens now and I leave them all out free together all day, even when no one is home. It helps greatly with predation. I'd had issues with neighbor dogs and bobcats before I left my dogs free in the yard with the chickens.

My old dog is a lab mix, and the younger one I bought from a breeder in California, she is half German Shepherd and half standard poodle. The breeder told me she would never bite, and never play tug of war, and she hasn't. But when I first got my chickens 4+ years ago, both dogs would jump on their pen, the GSD mix tried to dig under the run to get to them. I knew I was going to have problems if I did not get the situation under control. I first kept the dogs in their own run and let the chickens free range, and I would take the dogs 1 at a time with me on a leash whenever I'd be out in the yard. The chickens always follow me around. I'd pull back on the leash and tell the dog "No" if she took too much interest in the chickens. I also would carry the chickens to the leashed dogs for them to sniff. Within a few weeks I had both dogs out off-leash when I was with them and they would be fine. They pretty much ignored the chickens unless a hen squabble would break out and then they would start running toward it, but a voice command was enough to bring them back. One time we thought all the chickens had gone in for the night so we let the dogs out with no supervision. after a while I heard a racket. One of the hens was still out and in a panic. Shasta would capture it and then let it go, it would scramble off, and Shasta would bounce around and chase it like she was trying to get it to play. It was a self-propelled fetch toy! Poor hen. She was slobbery but not a drop of blood on her. She gave a bloody egg not long after, but other than that has been just fine. I decided I'd not let the dogs and chickens out together without supervision.

then 2 years ago my dogs were in their run, the chickens were free-ranging, I was laid up with a leg infection and could not walk. I heard a terrible racket, like a HUGE dog fight; I did not hear the chickens. Luckily my son was coming home from school at the same time. He saw Shasta chase a pack of neighbor dogs out of the yard, one of them was holding part of a barred rock. They had dug under our fence and killed 3 of our chickens and injured a few more (one of the hens was ripped to shreds). Alex cleaned up the slaughter so Olivia would not see it when she got off her bus. He said Shasta was gently nudging one of the dead hens with her nose and whimpering. She was dead but did not have any apparent injury; it was Olivia's favorite hen and the friendliest of our flock.

Shasta had scaled a 6 foot fence, we saw where the wires of the dog run fence were bent. She had used her teeth to scale the fence to save her chickens. She chased off a Rhodesian Ridgeback, a German Shepherd, a mean big black dog with a blue tongue, and a Jack Russel. The black dog hag killed several of our hens before this event, always when our dogs were either in the house or at the groomers. After that event, I decided to just let my dogs stay out. We have never lost a chicken to them. Shasta will investigate squabbles and she will even separate squabbling hens by getting between them. Willow is old, and the hens climb al over her, literally. They follow Shasta around the yard. she helps dig them holes for dust baths. They like to follow her into the orchard and woods and feel safe around her. Both those areas I will lose chickens to bobcats if they don't have a person or dog with them. (I have 3+ acres almost up against the Seattle Watershed and we get all sorts of wild animals - click on "my coop" and you will see. We have several tagged big cats living in the neighborhood as well, but I like to pretend they don't go on my property. Footprints say otherwise. We do have a problem with bears, they climb the fence quite often. They have kept their raids to my orchard, blueberry patch and this fall my veggie garden (which is next to a coop.) My next door neighbors had their coop ripped apart and most of their chickens killed this spring, another neighbor had their coop destroyed by a bear in broad daylight. My coop is fort know, and they have not bothered with it. When my fruit trees are ripe, I do keep my dogs in because Shasta will go after them and I fear for her safety. I can call her back from a rabbit, but nothing will hold her back from a bear. Her poodle dad is a bear hunter in Oregon. It must be in her blood!

Hi All! Long time and have missed you all...been super busy but finally got a chance to pop back on. Was worried my account would be gone, but it's still here.
smile.png
frow.gif
Robin, nice to see you back!

Both my dogs initially went after my chickens. I had never owned dogs before nor had I ever taken them to obedience school. I thoroughly trust both my dogs with my chickens now and I leave them all out free together all day, even when no one is home. It helps greatly with predation. I'd had issues with neighbor dogs and bobcats before I left my dogs free in the yard with the chickens.

My old dog is a lab mix, and the younger one I bought from a breeder in California, she is half German Shepherd and half standard poodle. The breeder told me she would never bite, and never play tug of war, and she hasn't. But when I first got my chickens 4+ years ago, both dogs would jump on their pen, the GSD mix tried to dig under the run to get to them. I knew I was going to have problems if I did not get the situation under control. I first kept the dogs in their own run and let the chickens free range, and I would take the dogs 1 at a time with me on a leash whenever I'd be out in the yard. The chickens always follow me around. I'd pull back on the leash and tell the dog "No" if she took too much interest in the chickens. I also would carry the chickens to the leashed dogs for them to sniff. Within a few weeks I had both dogs out off-leash when I was with them and they would be fine. They pretty much ignored the chickens unless a hen squabble would break out and then they would start running toward it, but a voice command was enough to bring them back. One time we thought all the chickens had gone in for the night so we let the dogs out with no supervision. after a while I heard a racket. One of the hens was still out and in a panic. Shasta would capture it and then let it go, it would scramble off, and Shasta would bounce around and chase it like she was trying to get it to play. It was a self-propelled fetch toy! Poor hen. She was slobbery but not a drop of blood on her. She gave a bloody egg not long after, but other than that has been just fine. I decided I'd not let the dogs and chickens out together without supervision.

then 2 years ago my dogs were in their run, the chickens were free-ranging, I was laid up with a leg infection and could not walk. I heard a terrible racket, like a HUGE dog fight; I did not hear the chickens. Luckily my son was coming home from school at the same time. He saw Shasta chase a pack of neighbor dogs out of the yard, one of them was holding part of a barred rock. They had dug under our fence and killed 3 of our chickens and injured a few more (one of the hens was ripped to shreds). Alex cleaned up the slaughter so Olivia would not see it when she got off her bus. He said Shasta was gently nudging one of the dead hens with her nose and whimpering. She was dead but did not have any apparent injury; it was Olivia's favorite hen and the friendliest of our flock.

Shasta had scaled a 6 foot fence, we saw where the wires of the dog run fence were bent. She had used her teeth to scale the fence to save her chickens. She chased off a Rhodesian Ridgeback, a German Shepherd, a mean big black dog with a blue tongue, and a Jack Russel. The black dog hag killed several of our hens before this event, always when our dogs were either in the house or at the groomers. After that event, I decided to just let my dogs stay out. We have never lost a chicken to them. Shasta will investigate squabbles and she will even separate squabbling hens by getting between them. Willow is old, and the hens climb al over her, literally. They follow Shasta around the yard. she helps dig them holes for dust baths. They like to follow her into the orchard and woods and feel safe around her. Both those areas I will lose chickens to bobcats if they don't have a person or dog with them. (I have 3+ acres almost up against the Seattle Watershed and we get all sorts of wild animals - click on "my coop" and you will see. We have several tagged big cats living in the neighborhood as well, but I like to pretend they don't go on my property. Footprints say otherwise. We do have a problem with bears, they climb the fence quite often. They have kept their raids to my orchard, blueberry patch and this fall my veggie garden (which is next to a coop.) My next door neighbors had their coop ripped apart and most of their chickens killed this spring, another neighbor had their coop destroyed by a bear in broad daylight. My coop is fort know, and they have not bothered with it. When my fruit trees are ripe, I do keep my dogs in because Shasta will go after them and I fear for her safety. I can call her back from a rabbit, but nothing will hold her back from a bear. Her poodle dad is a bear hunter in Oregon. It must be in her blood!
thats not good....

Shasta had scaled a 6 foot fence, we saw where the wires of the dog run fence were bent. She had used her teeth to scale the fence to save her chickens. She chased off a Rhodesian Ridgeback, a German Shepherd, a mean big black dog with a blue tongue, and a Jack Russel.

That Shasta sounds like a real hero! I think my GSD would do the same not necessarily to protect the chickens but to chase off an intruder. I am with you on free ranging them. Our GSD is usually good and has been free range (in the fenced area, about 3/4 acre) with the chickens for 3 years now and since the initial attack he had left them alone until we took in a friend's dog. The friend's dog is not at all interested in the chickens (their feed is another story...) nor is he capable of running a hen down, being old and suffering from Cushing's, so my guess is he upset our already somewhat dysfunctional pack. In addition to his techniques for establishing leadership I think I'll try the carrying the hen to the dog exercise and reinforce that every few weeks. Back when our first chickens were babies in the kitchen brooder we allowed him to sniff them but didn't really drive it home that he wasn't to escalate in prey drive toward them.

Meanwhile we are taking it day by day. The rooster might help, though so far he isn't acting very roosterish. The barred rock chases him and he has yet to crow. We wouldn't mind crowing, we are in a semi-rural livestock friendly neighborhood. But they are all being quieter than normal, maybe because it's so cold.

Here's the Chicken Whisperer episode where Millan works on getting a lab to stop chasing poultry, co-starring an EE and a duck. 2nd half of the video. No dogs were harmed but it was close for the duck.
duc.gif

Well, I train dogs and I have tons of chickens. everyone trains differently. I watched this clip and what I did not like was hitting the dog in the head. What happens if the dog bites back, or in some cases gets head shy due to that. Most of the training was done by the lady dog trainer. I teach my dogs basic commands first, then walk past the hens on a leash....if they go after I pull them off and tell them leave it. I teach my dogs a NO command and a quick return to me commands. It is not a quick fix but takes times. After a while my dogs ignore the hens. I have a few that will herd the hens back to their coops upon commands. If you watch his training, you will see he reaches with his foot and kicks the dog in the stomach (using the foot as he walks he swing his foot to the left or right, kick the dog and foot is behind him) Anyways he trains differently than me and I would not use his methods. I have around 9 Border Collies and 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs. My dogs learn the poultry are family and not prey.

My Livestock Guardian dogs are good at protecting the farm. The Guineas and geese are great are being a warning system

Quote:
I have an old Aussie(never been around chickens until we got our first last year) and a Pit/Heeler mix. Too about 3 weeks of multiple times a day training. Now he ignores the chickens, except the Silkies when I have them out(they have a different smell than the other chickens, all he does is wants to sniff them). We do the NO, LEAVE IT commands too

One of my Border collie that I got two years ago, thought it was a good idea to check out the geese. After she managed to removed her nose from the beak of the gander, she gives them a very wide berth. She shrieked when he grabbed her nose. The geese think nothing of grabbing a horse, sheep, Livestock Guardian dogs (LGD) and yanking some fur out. They ignore people unless you have food, then you are their best friends. I have seen them chase both LGD at full speed across the pasture when they wandered to close to their goslings. Maid, the Border Collie watches them with a wary eye.....she is the most bird driven dog and will herd them but if the geese are around, she will run behind me for protection.

One of my Border collie that I got two years ago, thought it was a good idea to check out the geese. After she managed to removed her nose from the beak of the gander, she gives them a very wide berth. She shrieked when he grabbed her nose. The geese think nothing of grabbing a horse, sheep, Livestock Guardian dogs (LGD) and yanking some fur out. They ignore people unless you have food, then you are their best friends. I have seen them chase both LGD at full speed across the pasture when they wandered to close to their goslings. Maid, the Border Collie watches them with a wary eye.....she is the most bird driven dog and will herd them but if the geese are around, she will run behind me for protection.

I had the birds from you in a separate coop and run for a while. Shasta would wander in with me when I would clean the coop, so she knew they were there. Then one day a couple months ago I decided they were big enough to put with the main flock, so I let them all out. Shasta caught the wheaten marans and gently brought them back to me one at a time (I was still in their coop). What amazed me was your hens did not even flinch when Shasta picked them up. I walked outside and set the hens back down near the other hens, and then Shasta saw that I intended to let them out and she does not bother anymore. Shasta is also good with my cats. One likes to sneak outdoors and Shasta will herd him back in. I never trained her, she just does it. I praise her for it, maybe that is reinforcing. The one thing I have never been able totrin her is "stay". Willow does it just fine, but Shasta always wants to be at my side.

Back
Top Bottom