Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My wife Kim is having her custom backyard chicken coop delivered next Saturday, October 4th.

She will be looking for some laying hens to start her flock - probably 3-5.

We are located in Granite Falls, WA. Can anyone suggest where to get some chickens locally?

Thanks!
Granit Falls...........................look into Royce van Blaricome, a member of the Washington Feather Fanciers,

HEN OR ROO???? Here are some pictures of Luna the Speckled Sussex. She is 16 weeks old. Her comb and wattles are still pretty small and pale. She hasn't crowed or shown any roo-like behavior, however, she has those pointy tail feathers!! I really hope she's a hen. What do you think?

Here's a picture of feathers she recently lost.
Cockerels have emerging hackle that is evident to see by this time.
Not sure about "roos"

Hackle emerges on the back & neck cape of the male bird, called a cockerel, or up to 1 year of age the male bird is called a Cock.
Cock is the male, Hen is the female.

A young (under 1 year of age) female, is a pullet.
Over a year, she is a hen.

The last photo, with a yellow sweat shirt holding the bird in question, it does look like it has saddle hackle.................on coming sickle tail feathers is another clue..................
big_smile.png

It is a custom coop designed and built by a guy in Auburn, WA. to our specifications. It was quite expensive - I still can't believe my wife paid so much! I don't really want to say how much in open forum. I did not have time or tools to build one for her and she wanted one NOW!
smile.png
The quality of construction and attention to detail are quite remarkable.

I would be glad to pass along his contact information to anyone considering a custom coop via PM. Just send me a PM and ask.

Jeff

Quote:
She wouldn't listen to anyone. I don't think she's tried canning anything other than grape juice since then. The grape juice was just a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure she even canned that as she only did one of the boxes of grapes Mom picked for her and got two gallons. If it's to much work, I think she gives up.

I'm doing more tuna tomorrow. Smoked and plain

Hi y'all! I've been lurking for a while, but a new addition to my flock of two has me posting. I was fortunate enough have an older Banty frizzle gifted to me and I'm going through the process of socializing her and slowly introducing her to my pre-existing girls. I totally love this girl! She came from a situation where she was being bullied by a couple of turkeys, so she was a little twitchy when we got her on Saturday. I'm trying to document all the developments and pit falls I come across as I go since this is my first flock management challenge, but for now I'll just show you Shirley (Who is also curly and a little bit squirrelly):

Hi y'all! I've been lurking for a while, but a new addition to my flock of two has me posting. I was fortunate enough have an older Banty frizzle gifted to me and I'm going through the process of socializing her and slowly introducing her to my pre-existing girls. I totally love this girl! She came from a situation where she was being bullied by a couple of turkeys, so she was a little twitchy when we got her on Saturday. I'm trying to document all the developments and pit falls I come across as I go since this is my first flock management challenge, but for now I'll just show you Shirley (Who is also curly and a little bit squirrelly):

Cute little bird and welcome!

very cute and
welcome-byc.gif

It is a custom coop designed and built by a guy in Auburn, WA. to our specifications. It was quite expensive - I still can't believe my wife paid so much! I don't really want to say how much in open forum. I did not have time or tools to build one for her and she wanted one NOW!
smile.png
The quality of construction and attention to detail are quite remarkable.

I would be glad to pass along his contact information to anyone considering a custom coop via PM. Just send me a PM and ask.

Jeff
Materials are not cheap regardless of what you are building. We just put up 2 sides and a roof on an 11 x 8 foot chicken run and spent about $700 in materials.

Back
Top Bottom