Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi, fairly new to the site and I have learned so much from everyone here. One of the things I learned about was the use of sand in runs to keep everything cleaner. It's worked great, thank you for the suggestion.
In my day job, I am in the middle of closing down a huge warehouse in Kent. One of the items we have a lot of is bagged sand. We had used it to prepare for the dam that never broke. It is clean sand that we bagged ourselves. I've taken a bunch home for making a patio, the garden and for the chickens. We still have several pallets left for the taking. We have to be out of here completely by the end of January so the sooner the better.
If there is interest, I can post the address. I told my boss I thought chicken people would be a good group to offer it to.
Please let me know if I should have posted this elsewhere - I am a newbie at this sort of thing.
Lanelle

I am totally interested

Diane

More Avian Flu !!!!!
D.gif
D.gif

"The WSDA town hall meeting will be at 6 p.m. Dec. 18 in the Mt. Baker Rotary Building at the Northwest Washington Fairgrounds in Lynden. It is open to the public and WSDA would particularly encourage poultry producers or owners of backyard flocks to attend." the Whatcom County Farm Bureau Facebook

For the full post go here https://www.facebook.com/Whatcomcountyfarmbureau
If anyone attends this meeting please post on this site so we are able to learn as much as we can……This may be preventative information but maybe not. In Watcom now, but maybe Skagit, Snohomish, King etc tomorrow….

Since it seems several people are interested in the free sand, the address for pickup is 20421 84th Ave S, Kent. It is the Panasonic warehouse. Go to the far end of the building and around the end. The sand is on pallets there. If you have a pickup and would like full pallet loads, we have forklifts available from 7-4:30 M-F. There is no problem picking it up after hours either. If anyone asks you, just tell them I sent you and it will be fine. They are expecting random chicken fanciers!
Lanelle

Since it seems several people are interested in the free sand, the address for pickup is 20421 84th Ave S, Kent. It is the Panasonic warehouse. Go to the far end of the building and around the end. The sand is on pallets there. If you have a pickup and would like full pallet loads, we have forklifts available from 7-4:30 M-F. There is no problem picking it up after hours either. If anyone asks you, just tell them I sent you and it will be fine. They are expecting random chicken fanciers!
Lanelle
How much sand is available,,,,,maybe if you don't mind having those wanting it to check in with you….so no one comes from afar after its all gone?????

On the news it mentioned a hawk owner lost birds who he trains for hunting that had eaten wild birds with the AF…..They are really worried because now many flocks are migrating between Canada and Washington and beyond right now. If the big birds, swans and geese start to die, then the Eagles will pick them off and die too… who knows about the smaller birds…….

How much sand is available,,,,,maybe if you don't mind having those wanting it to check in with you….so no one comes from afar after its all gone?????

Good point. There were about 20 pallets left this morning. I can keep an eye on it and post when we are down to the last two pallets. At that point people can PM me to see if there is any left. I need it all gone by mid January.
Lanelle

I know it's been a while since I've posted, but if anyone wants a trio of muscovies that should start laying come spring (2 females, 1 male), I'd love to GIVE them to you. Or you know, if you want duck for Christmas dinner! YUM! The male is HUGE.

Christmas tree farm is closed! Woo Hoo!

We had the coops over by the tree farm office so people could see the bunny, chickens, guineas, and turkeys. I was not prepared for some of the questions/comments that people would have about my birds!

The eggs are blue(or green)! Do you put food coloring in their water? Yes. Next time I'm having them lay all green and red for Christmas.

Can a chicken be parted out? I only want a leg. They were trying to get me to take a leg off a live chicken! NOOO! Get away from my birds! They aren't cars!

Can I buy that chicken? (Pointing at one of my best daily olive egg layers) I told the lady $30 if she absolutely had to have her. Then she asked if she could butcher it here. Uh no. I thought she wanted a layer! Needless to say I did NOT sell her my chicken.

What's wrong with your turkeys? Why are they white? Well they're royal palms. So their feathers are black and white. There was a whole conversation about how turkeys are only brown.... I gave up. His logic was so confusing I finally just looked at DH and said he's right they must be albinos... Even though they have black feathers!

There were MANY others like someone asked how my Wyandot lost its comb and why does that chicken have and extra toe (spur) and my favorite.... "How can you eat fertilized eggs?!?? I would never eat a baby chicken!"

So glad the tree farm is closed. Next year I'm putting up info signs like at the zoo.... Maybe that'll take out a few of the interesting ones...

Wow, i have heard alot of different questions, but You sure have some odd ones….maybe add some websites they can look up to find some of their answers…….feathersite to show how many varieties and the possibilities are endless, especially turkeys, BYC, vbg

I did 4-H for years with llamas with my daughter and can relate…….

Back
Top Bottom